• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help me get a good W/O schedule PLEASE!

Ok so I want to get really good at Karate for tournaments and self protection and I want to go far with karate. Im 15 and im 5' 3'' about 110 lbs.

I will start this in summer when I have every day to train.

I think I should wake up around 7:30 and do a warmup for about 7 minutes of basketball lay ups. Then stretch for about 15 mins the go for a 5 mile run. I then will get home and drink a protien smoothie and wait about 15 mins. Then Ill go to the gym and work abs, biceps, triceps, chest, shoulders, obliques, and forearms. After that I will go home and take a 30 min break watching TV while in butterfly postition to get more flexible. Then I will practice hitting the punching bag I have and then practise open hand and weapons forms. Then I will work on stepping strikes. After this I will be done.

Is this to much to do in one day every day? I have been for about 2 weeks now and Im still as entergetic as usual.

Please tell me any suggestions or changes I should make.

Chunk Kuk Do in SC! I love Club Karate!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Damn. Thats useful work but I think everyday is too much. Depending on how hard your working yourself, (pretty hard by the looks of things) u need to rest ur cardiovascular system from da run and ur muscles from the weights. Take it easy coz otherwise u will get injured and it will hinder u.

"Life is a journey, not a destination"

"Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless"

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do"

That is a lot.

You definitely don't want to lift weights every day, especially if you are training the same body parts each time. Twice a week for each body part is usually enough. You can either keep your full body workout and do it two days a week, or you can break it up and do different parts each day.

Your muscles don't actually get stronger while you are lifting weights. Working out actually breaks down your muscles. They become stronger when they are allowed to rest and recuperate. They repair themselves and adapt to the work being done, which is why you get stronger.

If you lift everyday, you are not giving them that time to recover, and you'll be tearing them down again before they can rebuild.

Cardio work is a little different and can be done more often, but 5 miles everyday is probably too much as well. (or at least not the optimal).

Think about taking one day a week where you don't workout at all.

Also, instead of 5 miles everyday, try alternating distance and sprints each day.

For example, on Monday, run 5 miles. On Tues, run a mile or so to warmup, then run some sprints. Maybe 10 x 50 yards. On Wed, go back to the distance run, maybe trying 5.1 miles, or even 5 1/4. On Thu, go back to the sprints.

Maybe take Friday off, and go back to it on Sat.

The distance running is great for your endurance, but the sprints will also help you develop quickness and power in your legs. Remember you aren't training for a marathon... you want endurance, quickness, AND power.

Most importantly, pay attention to how your body responds. If you are finding something is making you sore, don't go back to it until the soreness is gone, even if that means taking 2-3 days off from that activity. Again, working those muscles while they are sore is going to hinder your progress, not help it.

If you find you need to take 2 days off a week to stay "fresh", so be it. That just means your workouts are intense.

you can lift everyday. you can even lift for the same parts every day. It's all in how you do it. If you are training for mass or endurance, than no, you don't want to do it everyday. If you are training for power, then yes, lifting daily is fine.

that said, what are your goals? It will be much easier to tell what may or may not be too much if we know what exactly you are hoping to accomplish with your workout regimen.

Your muscles don't actually get stronger while you are lifting weights. Working out actually breaks down your muscles. They become stronger when they are allowed to rest and recuperate. They repair themselves and adapt to the work being done, which is why you get stronger.

If you lift everyday, you are not giving them that time to recover, and you'll be tearing them down again before they can rebuild.

Not necessarily. When you are training for power - HEAVY, maximal weights, with few reps and sets - for example, 2 sets or bench press...285 x 5 reps - you aren't training the muscles so much as you are training the neuromuscular system. you are training your neuromuscular system to contract harder. Naturally, the harder the contraction, the higher the power output. training like this can de done daily, as you aren't stressing the muscles to the same end that you are with higher sets and reps - there is much less recovery time needed.

Do you have any further info on that?

I don't claim to be an expert, but I have read quite a bit on training, and I still don't see much about top bodybuilders or powerlifters advocating training the same bodyparts everyday, and these guys are usually even 'roided up.

For the past two weeks ive been lifting every day and have noticed my muscles look much bigger. Especially the crunchs are paying of because Ive got a 6 pack without even flexing :brow:

Oh yeah my goals are to win 1st place in all sparring tournaments (so far ive won 1 tournament (my first ever) and want to win more). I also want to be able to walk the streets confidently knowing that not much can stop me. Since Im a skinny short white guy Im a target.

Chunk Kuk Do in SC! I love Club Karate!

There is no professional powerlifter that trains the same lift every day. You can't get far like that. As for running, 5 miles a day is not too much. I did it all through last summer. Marathon runners run 100+ miles a week without injury, so your safe at 5 a day.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

Do you have any further info on that?

I don't claim to be an expert, but I have read quite a bit on training, and I still don't see much about top bodybuilders or powerlifters advocating training the same bodyparts everyday, and these guys are usually even 'roided up.

power lifters don't train that way. A body builder wouldn't, as you won't build much size. look into "power to the people", a book by pavel tsatsouline. neuromuscular training is to put on strength without alot of added size.