• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

List Your Motivations for Martial Arts Training

If I walked into his school and he said my words meant I was a terrible liar, I guess I'd just have to respectfully let him know I'd be looking for a different teacher. One who better understood what I was looking for.

:) I completely agree. However, a few points should be considered:

1) You are not 'completely new'

2) He is refering to Kyokushin Budokai (full contact free fight)

3) He is not a native english speaker

Certainly, he's not suggesting that violence is the only reason. He is simply suggesting that 'spirituality' cannot be the only reason. If it were - then one could simply learn Zen Buddhism. His choice of 'beat up on people' is more a reflection of the fact that he is speaking in a foreign language (he's Dutch). If you'd like to read the interview in context - it's available on my homepage ( http://www.kyokushinbudokai.org ) under 'Kyokushin Budo Kai' > 'In Depth Interview with Kaicho Jon Bluming'. :D

On a lighter note - we seem to be digressing somewhat...

Let's get back to the original thought:

"Please list your motivations for practising martial arts."

-V-

More than 200 pictures of Kyokushin technique.

Kata outlined step by step.

https://www.kyokushinbudokai.org (Homepage)

Diary of a Full Contact Martial Artist (Diary)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) You are not 'completely new'

2) He is refering to Kyokushin Budokai (full contact free fight)

3) He is not a native english speaker

Ok. With respect to the combination of 2 and 3, I can buy how that would slant things.

On #1, I was referring to why I started, not necessarily how I feel today (though it hasn't changed much, if at all). I haven't been training so long that I can't remember why I started.

The only thing that has really changed is that my committment and my desire to advance and grow has increased.

But, yes, we digress... I've already posted my motivations.

My motivations:

1. Getting into shape

2. Learning Tai Chi Chuan (both form and martial applications)

3. Gaining confidence

4. Increase self confidence

5. increase discipline

There ya go.

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."

I'm going to move this to the Getting Started in Martial Arts forum as I feel that this topic would help any beginners to MA who are browsing there.

My reasons for starting MA:

1) It looked (and still is!) fun

2) A friend of mine had recently started

3) I always wanted to train but was never allowed to as a child

4) I was determined to start training as an adult because of the reason given in 3)

5) I wanted to be able to learn self-defence

6) I wanted to start something new and karate looked more appealing than aerobics or yoga classes.

Those reasons applied when I started my initial MA (karate). I chiose to start other martial arts because I wanted to learn more about other styles and I thought that learning a different MA would help and complelment my karate training.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Hi Aefibird,

Thanks for answering. :-) I understand what you are saying about moving this - BUT - if you move it to 'getting started' - then the people that are already practising won't see the thread and won't respond with the info that the people just starting out are looking for.

Just an opinion. But, I really think the move would be a bad idea. :roll:

-V-

More than 200 pictures of Kyokushin technique.

Kata outlined step by step.

https://www.kyokushinbudokai.org (Homepage)

Diary of a Full Contact Martial Artist (Diary)

.....the wanting to or not wanting to fight isn't always a spirituality thing.

in most cases, it is down to the question of mentality and maturity.

as sevenstar keeps saying, he goes somewhere else for spirituality

BUT

that doesn't mean that part of his fight/not fight mentality/principles/whatnot isn't because of his training.

mentality does not equal spirituality.

my martial arts training has taught me that fighting has consequences.

that has nothing to do with any spiritual aspect.

fighting/not fighting isn't and never was part of the decision to go into training properly.

i didn't do it for the love of the art (how can you love something you are only just beginning in?) and i didn't do it because of any outside influence.

i did it because i wanted to.

however..... that doesn't mean that i wasn't aware of what it is to take on a martial art. at the end of the day, i knew that somewhere along the lines, it'd involve hitting someone and getting hit in return.

it's like football.

you don't go beacuse you like kicking a ball.

you do it because you like football.

just like kicking a ball doesn't always=football

hitting/beating people up doesn't always=martial art.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

motivation.....

work-out

fitness

fun

skills and ability

healthy comittment

when i first started i didnt' really know what is involved in training, i just liked MA styles. i always like a work-out, and i kninda needed to get out more, no more sitting on my butt the whole night.

i love kata, i like to do it anywhere, aslong as there's no ppl around. but before i started training i had no idea about it.

still not to sure about tournaments i'm not in any yet, so time will tell. but i'm definatly not out for metals or troffies.

now i just can't wait for the next class each time.

KBear

"lick your wounds, anxious for the next ones"

I think the first time I started in the martial arts my grandmother wanted me to try it because I was so competative in wrestling in highschool and it kept me out of trouble during the off season.This time my brother saw I was missing the arts becuase I moved a few years ago and invited me into the dojo were he is currently training.Now if I miss class I feel as I've failed.but honestly I for an unknown reason am and have always been fasinated by the martial arts.