• advertisement_alt

List Your Motivations for Martial Arts Training

Focus

Health

Personal exploration

...oh, and to hunt the unbelievers!

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Health & Fitness (dispite all my injuries!).

Family activity, it's great doing stuff with the kids.

Sport, yes I said for the sport. I know, that makes me the lowest form of martial artist there is, but I still enjoy competition.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

I enjoy the challenge; it's not something that comes particularly easy to me, but I really enjoy it :)

It also helps keep me in shape (when I can't golf :lol:), keeps me busy, and I enjoy being around the people I train with.

Self-defense? Hmm.. a nice bonus maybe, but definitely not a key motivation for me.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

I'm not sure how to put this into a single word, but I've always been attracted to the honor, discipline, respect and traditional aspects of martial arts.

That's my primary motivation, though I also like it for other reasons, such as:

Self Defense

Exercise

Learning to do things I wouldn't have though I could do.

Hmm...I'm wondering: Are there any members out there reading this thread that have less than honourable intentions to learning martial arts? If you do, do you have the strength of your convictions to say so? I'm not trying to spark flames or arguments, but to discover some opinions that aren't...well, popular.

- Sun-tzu

Hmm...I'm wondering: Are there any members out there reading this thread that have less than honourable intentions to learning martial arts?

:) I really like this question. During an interview with Jon Bluming (10. Dan Kyokushin, 9. Dan Judo + many others - all awarded by Japan) he was quoted as saying: "When a new member applies for membership, he is not joining to learn kata. He wants to beat up as many people on the streets as he meets. When they say that they don’t come for that and when they say that they are signing up for the spiritual side of the martial arts, you have a terrible liar in front of you. "

More than 200 pictures of Kyokushin technique.

Kata outlined step by step.

https://www.kyokushinbudokai.org (Homepage)

Diary of a Full Contact Martial Artist (Diary)

Hmm...I'm wondering: Are there any members out there reading this thread that have less than honourable intentions to learning martial arts?

:) I really like this question. During an interview with Jon Bluming (10. Dan Kyokushin, 9. Dan Judo + many others - all awarded by Japan) he was quoted as saying: "When a new member applies for membership, he is not joining to learn kata. He wants to beat up as many people on the streets as he meets. When they say that they don’t come for that and when they say that they are signing up for the spiritual side of the martial arts, you have a terrible liar in front of you. "

Yes that's maybe true, but in the 4 schools I had the occation to train (for a total of about 100 students meet raughly) I only have 1 or maybe 2 cases of somebody doing the arts for beating people (all of them were in kickboxing btw). I think those people are a minority.

I don't think that Bluming was really suggesting that these people stay. He was suggesting only that the initial motivation is 'to beat or be beaten'. With time people choose A or B:

a) Leave

b) Stay with a 'new mind' concerning what it is to be a martial artist

I believe that many people are happy to state their reasons for continuing to practise and conveniently 'forget' their original motivation (or are ashamed to admit it).

Personally, I am happy to state that I got involved in Martial Arts as an 'outlet' for the violent side of my nature (aka. Human Nature). However, I remain a Martial Artist to continuously 'keep my animal in it's box' AND for all the other reasons stated at the beginning of this thread.

One should never be ashamed of one's initial motivations (however negative). One should simply be proud of the changes that the Arts have helped us to achieve.

-V-

More than 200 pictures of Kyokushin technique.

Kata outlined step by step.

https://www.kyokushinbudokai.org (Homepage)

Diary of a Full Contact Martial Artist (Diary)

Good information :D

- Sun-tzu

When a new member applies for membership, he is not joining to learn kata. He wants to beat up as many people on the streets as he meets. When they say that they don’t come for that and when they say that they are signing up for the spiritual side of the martial arts, you have a terrible liar in front of you.

That's a strange take. Perhaps that has been his experience, but when I started training again about 1 1/2 years ago, I hadn't been in a real fight for 20 years (and now its 21 1/2 years).

No, I didn't join just to learn forms, but I also didn't join to beat up people on the streets. I really do respect the "spiritual" side. I do want to improve my ability to defend myself and my loved ones, but I don't think that's the same as wanting to beat up as many people as I meet.

If I walked into his school and he said my words meant I was a terrible liar, I guess I'd just have to respectfully let him know I'd be looking for a different teacher. One who better understood what I was looking for.