• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata?

Cmon

A kata is like a song where you know all the words by heart...you don't have to repeat them after anybody else, and you can do it at your own pace (for the most part). You can't change the words, but there is a little room for interpretation on how loudly you say a phrase or how much emphasis you put on a verse.

Only in a kata, instead of singing, you're doing martial arts moves...moves that somebody else arranged in a sequence. You must do them in that sequence. It's a very mental thing, because it's completely useless if you don't visualize your opponent. That "little room for interpretation" will depend on the sort of flavor or genre of your style. Depending on the style, kata (or hyung or poomse or form, also dependent on the style) can be loud or quiet, fast or slow, intense or calm, realistic or artistic. Some styles would have you use kata to memorize important techniques so that you can apply them in a real situation. Others use them to focus the mind, body, train muscles, breathing, etc.

I hope that helps! :)

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great explanation :)

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Typically, when I'm asked this question I respond with:

"A prescribed sequence of steps, strikes, and blocks combined in such a manner as to allow us to practise them with a view to achieving all techniques with balance, speed, power, precision, and grace of execution."

However, it is fair to say that Kata is considerably more than this. In particular, the Kata were created (and changed and manipulated over the years) to pass techniques and teachings from generation to generation. Today - we have books, movies, videos. Back in the days of old - we did not. So, Kata served a 'dual purpose' - the 'self sufficient' training outlined above plus 'a record' of a given fighting system that could be passed on.

-V-

More than 200 pictures of Kyokushin technique.

Kata outlined step by step.

https://www.kyokushinbudokai.org (Homepage)

Diary of a Full Contact Martial Artist (Diary)

Your style may not have kata, Cmon. I don't know for sure, but you may want to look it up on the internet or talk to your instructor about it.

Peace;

Parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

Yes, I'm pretty sure there aren't any kata in JKD. I may be totally off base, but I'm certain Bruce Lee indicated that he felt they didn't work well for training.

- Sun-tzu

There are many theories about how Kata came about.

One I tend to buy is that Masters linked together their favorite techniques in sequence so students would be able to remember them all and pass them down

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

I agree; I'm pretty sure that Bruce Lee's opinions on kata were not good. He didn't feel that they were helpful.

- Sun-tzu

Adding to what has already been said, there are some kata in some style (goju ryu or any derivation of Naha-te) which have katas which are mostly breathing exercises like Goju ryu Sanchin or Tensho.