• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Greetings from a Brooklyn girl

Danni Girl

'Ello everyone!

Well, I've been a lurker on these boards for almost 2 weeks now so I thought I'de finally move out of the shadow to introduce myself.

My name is Danielle, I'm 29 years old, a New York native and the closest I've ever come to a Martial Arts class were my Tae-Bo tapes. :)

However, at this point in my life I've been seriously considering getting into MA for a number of reasons. Before I found this forum, I knew NOTHING about MA except for what I saw in movies. I've been reading through lots of your posts and I think I have a better understanding now of the different styles that are out there, what they entail and the sense of gratification and/or accomplishment that MA has brought to so many of you.

Without sounding too corny, I felt really inspired by alot of you just from your posts. I love you guys! No, seriously ... I feel pretty sure that this is something that I would really like to get into and I have already e-mailed 3 local Dojo's to inquire about any open demonstrations or trial classes they might have for a newbie like me.

Ok.. that was my intro. Now I shall sink back into zee shadows! Bwah-hahahaha.... :)

Danielle

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't know how close you are to McKibben st. but there is an Isshin-Ryu Karate dojo there called Traditional Okinawan Karate. The instructor is a nice guy, and he gives you a two week trial period to see if you enjoy the classes or not. If you want any more info you can google Traditional Okinawan Karate Brooklyn, or maybe you've already contacted him. I have visited there a few times, it's a nice little place. Good luck with your search for a dojo, and it's nice to have you on Karateforums.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Thanks for the welcomes! :)

Isshinryu5; I haven't contacted the Dojo that you mentioned. I think it may be too far from me. :( Just out of curiousity, what's the difference between Isshin-Ryu and Goju-Ryu (if any)?

Danielle

Hello and welcome to KF, I'm sure you will enjoy it and it will help you pick which style to do.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

Thanks for the welcomes! :)

Isshinryu5; I haven't contacted the Dojo that you mentioned. I think it may be too far from me. :( Just out of curiousity, what's the difference between Isshin-Ryu and Goju-Ryu (if any)?

Danielle

Isshin ryu is a mix of Goju-ryu and Shorin ryu, the founder Tatsu Shimabuku knew both styles , isshin ryu is one of the styles using vertical punches.