• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do compliant 1-Step sparring drill teach principles?

You go at slow speeds initially to identify the right spots to strike/kick/grab/lock/etc.

If you are practicing seriously, you practice with more speed as you become more proficient, and you can begin to get a sense of the timing.

I don't think that's the end of it, but again, its a stepping stone.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The timing aspect of onestep sparring comes in when you do it so that the defender stands in a neutral stance and does NOT indicate to the attacker that they are ready for the attack, then the attacker acts when they feel like it, be it one second or twenty seconds later, the defender does not know.

This is a controlled way to learn to handle the unexpected - you know what's coming, but not when. Not knowing what OR when comes later, as you have more confidence in your ability to avoid getting pounded on. :karate:

what goes around, comes around

Thanks for all the answers guys.

Re Timing in 1-step drills

So you develop timing IF the attacker is un-telegraphed in their attack (? –that’s what people seem to be saying).

So you have to time the block (/evasion etc).

But because the attacker leaves the strike out and doesn’t actively defend, you’re not developing any timing on your counter attacks.

And since you know what the attack is, then timing is easier because you don’t have to guess what defence to use (it’s all scripted).

It seems very limited for developing timing –especially when compared to alternative non-compliant drills.

So do the compliant 1-step drills, such as originally shown in the original post develop credible timing attributes?

People hear what they want to hear....

http://www.armbell.com/forum/banners/mabattleground.jpg

http://www.armbell.com/forum/index.php?mforum=mabattleground

I see them as a good way to work on distancing. Making sure you don't clock someone during practice. Work until you are just about an inch or maybe less, if the trust ya.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

No.

It's a good way to train for developing control,... there's a difference. To train to hit, you use a target. That's why you never see a lack of kicking shields, paddles or heavy bags in a Korean style dojang. People need to be able to go home to their school and jobs. Being a punching dummy is better suited to an actual dummy, especially considering that a full powered, well excuted, Korean style kick can possibly kill.

As for the timing aspect, there's not a lot of focus in one-steps (il su sik) or three-steps (sam su sik) on timing (maybe should be a little more, but there generally isn't). It's more about being able to appreciate angles and understand vulnerabilities at those angles to various techniques than anything else. Timing is for free fighting, or self defense (Ho Shin Sool) training. As the student gets higher up in level, they should get more aggressive with their partner in terms of free fighting and Ho Shin Sool.

One and Three steps aren't the only partner methodologies that Korean styles use... they are only the ones that people are more likely to see in the middle of a class.

Master Jason Powlette

5th Dan, Tang Soo Do

--Tang Soo!!!

so you're saying that it's a good way to train to miss?

Don't be an idiot, I would hope you would know I was talking about learning control. :roll:

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

I've been doing one steps for 20 years, and I definitely think they are a valuable bridge between basic techniques and full out fighting.

I don't think anyone who teaches one steps claims that that is the way you will fight in a realistic situation.....just that they are a tool to help get you there...

I have fought: full contact to knockout, in more controlled "point" situations, and, more often, somewhere in between, and I think one step drills have made me a better fighter in all of the above situations.

As for "practicing to miss", not at all...the intent of one steps, once one becomes proficient with them, is to practice full speed and power with control.....it is actually harder to stop the technique at that speed than it is to make contact. I stand by that, as sometimes when practicing at higher levels, I have occasionally made contact with my opponent, or he with me, and one of us has gotten injured, hence why compliance is important at early levels.

Now, the other side of the coin...

If you ONLY do one steps, and are not practicing non-compliant drills as well, and are not training, with the same techniques used in the one steps, to hit things ranging from targets to bags to people, then you are doing yourself a disservice.

I happen to think you are also doing yourself a disservice by not practicing compliant drills as well, which help to also practice focus, help you learn the anatomy of striking, teach you footwork, etc...

I don't have a problem with people who don't want to use one-steps as a training tool. However, there are a lot of people that do find them useful, and those pictures don't even come close to telling the whole story behind one steps.

I try very hard to accept that every martial art, traditional or otherwise, has something valuable to teach me. I personally believe that one-step training is one of those valuable things.

I'll admit, the "lemon" comic is funny...and if that is the only way one steps were ever practiced, they really might be a waste of time. However, that simply isn't the case, as several people here have pointed out.

I try to make it clear to my students that what they are practicing is merely a training tool, and make it a point to have an assistant instructor help me demonstrate the techniques at something close to full speed.

I say something close to full speed, because at full speed, one of us could easily get hurt...I know it sounds like a cop-out, but it's true, and I've seen it happen.

I also know that the techniques used in one-steps work...once my instructor asked me to try to hit him...and not in the standard one step application form you see depicted, but from a regular fighting position...so I tried to hit him..the key being "tried", and the first thing taht hit the ground was the back of my head...good thing I have hard head.

I've done the same with my students, and at this point one-steps do become more non-compliant. if I don't believe they are trying to hit me, I stop them, and tell them they better try to hit me. Actually, advanced one steps often work BETTER when some one is trying to hit you than they do when someone is standing there like a lemon.

We also vary up the attacks...kick instead of punch, attack with either side, grab instead of strike, etc...if the techniques are effective, than you should be able to make them work against multiple types of attacks, and from either side.

What types of non-compliant drills do you suggest? I'd wager that we already do most of them, in addition to our one steps, but I am genuinely curious, and would like to know what you suggest to replace one-steps as a bridge between executing techniques and applying them in a fighting/grappling situation.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

One steps are integral to proper training.

If one steps are not teaching you timing... then I ask...

Why in blazes are you NOT using them to improve that aspect?

If they're not teaching you how to measure distance in confrontation... then I ask...

Why are you NOT paying attention to that aspect of your training??

The one steps, serve two basic purposes...

One... to get you used to moving your body in concert to another person's attack in 'almost live simulation'...

Two... to get you USED to using COMBINATIONS in your defense, AND your counter-attack.

Allow me to be frank...

TKD isn't worth a hoot, if you use single techniques and 'think' they're gonna work...

The magic of TKD is in 'combinations'... you HAVE to be able to combine techniques, in order to complete a proper counter attack that's capable of ENDING the conflict right there and then.

One punch, doesn't do it... one KICK doesn't do it...

It takes a combination, to ASSURE that your counter-attack is going to be devastatingly successful.

Your timing aspect of one steps... i.e. your objective, is as follows...

When your opponent executes his attack...

You do NOT 'anticipate' the attack... you WAIT for it... and BLOCK it, at the LAST possible moment, with a strong, technically proficient block, and then IMMEDIATELY, without stopping or hesitating, 'follow the flow' and execute your counter attack.

THAT is the mission... learning HOW to do that in baby steps...

So when you graduate to free sparring, or to 'combat tactics'... you can THEN apply the principles you developed in one steps, to ENHANCE your effectiveness as a defender.

Timing and distance are everything in fighting...

Look at the person that tries to tackle you to the ground in a street-fight...

If you time it right... you can force him to walk, face first, into a lovely reverse punch to his nose...(Which, most often will knock him plum silly, long enough for you to either get away, or to further prosecute your counter to drop him like a bad habit)

If you screw up your timing... you wind up on the ground, getting your head kicked in after he bounces it off the pavement 20 or 30 times.

Good timing... you can dodge him and help him fall on his face, giving you time to either escape or prepare to mount a crippling offensive.

Bad timing... Either the paramedics haul you to the hospital after you take a beating and a half... OR... some cop or coroner zips a body bag around you and notifies your next of kin.

One steps 'seem' like an exercise in futility... they're NOT...

Distance training...

You throw your kick at an attacker who rushes in, but they're too close and your foot jams, and they grab your leg and dump you to the ground like yesterday's rubbish.

Or... you react properly, side step, and either trip them, or whack em in the noggin with sound technique... (preferably both, depending on the circumstances), and you find yourself in a fine position to either escape, or press your advantage to knock em flat so you can BETTER get away safely.

Two important skills... and that's where one steps come into play...

They're the start of your training... NOT the end...

And if you can't see clear to give one-steps your best effort...

You're gonna wind up short-changing yourself in the end, as far as your training and skill goes... You might be a great TKD artist... but you won't be half as good as you could be...

And that would be a crime... to invest all that effort into getting your black belt and so on... and NOT taking FULL advantage of all the benefits that the training has to offer.

It'd be like paying 100,000 bucks for a cool new car... and then ACCEPTING some car from the junkyard instead of the new car you paid for.

Starting out... do the one-steps... do them dilligently as they're taught...

As you grow in skill and rank... PLAY WITH THEM... change them... EXPERIMENT with them. See what 'might work' and what 'WON'T'... one steps can tell you a lot about that!

As you grow even MORE skilled... EXPAND ON THEM...

Use the lessons they teach you, in other areas of your training, including free sparring and self defense.

Remember... one-steps are predicated on one premise...

In TKD self defense... just a FEW simple techniques, PERFORMED PROPERLY IN COMBINATION, can END A FIGHT.

That's why one steps like the ole 'block, punch punch punch', are KEPT exactly THAT simple.

Don't turn your back on what is, in effect, another 'tool in your training arsenal' to make you a better TKD practitioner, and yes, a better trained self-defense technician.

Your's in Taekwondo,

Paul

"Tournaments are the least important aspect of martial arts..." Pat E. Johnson--Technical Advisor and "Chief Referee" for the Karate Kid movies.