• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do compliant 1-Step sparring drill teach principles?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

One steps can be extremely beneficial, and are actually a logical link beteween basic techniques and sparring.

They are just tools, though, and teach didtance, focus, timing, footwork, and basic application.

Is anyone ever going to attack you that way? Of Course not, but you build up to that.

A good way to start building up is Three step sparring, in which the attacker comes at you with three punches, one after the other, which helps to further develop all of the principles listed above.

You can also add in multi-attacker onesteps, in which attackers come at you from multiple directions, without telling you who is attacking first...

And eventually, one steps should be practiced with more realistic attacks, and without compliance on the part of the attacker....

Over time, I've managed to use several one step techniques in sparring itself, and they will work when executed correctly.

There are some of our one steps that I would never use, but that is why we have so many, so you can pick the ones that will work best for YOU, and understand the principles involved in the rest, perhaps eventually making them work for you as well.

I believe one-steps are beneficial, but as a stepping stone to more complicated and advanced concepts. They are a good foundation that lead to bigger and better things.

That series of pictures is absolutely comical and suicidal in it's application. Is that something that is actually taught somewhere as a real self-defense technique? :-?

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I like the parry/grab, but as usual, I gotta agree with SS on this one and say that the hook kick is suicidal.

As far as one-steps being useful, they are, if only for the fact that it is another application of techniques learned. Unlike kata, there is another person involved so timing and distance come into the equation.

My current style stops teaching them at green belt and turns the focus on sparring and self-defense. For junior belts, it is a good way to explore new techniques and applications without killing someone!

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

There's actually a thread over on "Strategies and Tactics" about somebody who claims to have seen an altercation where a similar tactic was used. The guy continued the hook kick down, trapping the guy's arm and then broke the arm.

Sounds like the guy doing the technique was significantly larger than the other guy, and we know nothing about the amount of training/experience the smaller guy had, if any. It also took place as the two were leaving a club, so I'm sure there was some alcohol involved.

Well, the guy in the pic doing the technique, is CS Kim...Grandmaster of the ITF.

I'm not affiliated with teh ITF, but we have a similar one step technique, and the pictures are very problematic in that they don't show the real application of the technique in question..

The parry/ grab is really meant to be done as the attacker is still attacking, and is meant to pull them very much off balance.

The hook kick would never be executed with the attacker standing upright in that position...

I also often teach students that the height doesn't matter, it's the concept that they need to take with them.

That hook kick could be applied to the ankle as a swwep, back of the knee, kidney, etc...

If I were kicking to the head, the attacker would already be bent over at a 90 degree angle from teh pull, and the kick would be executed to the base of the skull.

Not a technique I'd probably use, but knowing different applicationsfor it is important. You don't get the whole story from snapshots, which is why books should only be used as supplements.

I actually use the block/grab and pull frequently, just usually into a different technique...

I would have used a side kick or front kick to the groin or stomach, or even a round house to set up further kicks or punches.

One steps can be of use if used properly. :)

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

People,

I wonder if there wouldnt be 1000000000 other things that we could do in a one-step sparring situation.

I dont think it is fair to say what we would do, cause I know at my school, when we do one-steps, we practice much more than one one-step at a time.

Lets not get into a battle of what we would or could or should do...

I believe that one-steps are a vital part of a TKD curriculum. Like someone said, it helps with distancing...and you can see when someone is a strong practitioner when they arent 12 inches away on their one step, but and inch or closer. Timing is important.

I like one-steps, and I think they are important.

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

I believe that one-steps are a vital part of a TKD curriculum. Like someone said, it helps with distancing...and you can see when someone is a strong practitioner when they arent 12 inches away on their one step, but and inch or closer. Timing is important.

In what way do they help timing? If the attacker is going to attack in a pre-arranged way and then stand there... um, like a lemon... what is there to time?

People hear what they want to hear....

http://www.armbell.com/forum/banners/mabattleground.jpg

http://www.armbell.com/forum/index.php?mforum=mabattleground