• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kids sparring Adults... is it practical?

Kicks

I have a 12 year old daughter who is pretty good at sparring (AAU national champ in Olympic style sparring). We are preparing for the regional qualifier next month.

In sparring class the instructor lines up the kids on one side of the room and adults (including over 15 yo) on the other side. I am thinking of having her line up with the adults, but wonder if this is practical.

In competition she wiill be sparring girls slightly larger than her, she's small for her age. So would sparring teens and adults properly prepare her? It wouldn't be realistic as to what her division would be, but does that really matter?

Any thoughts on this?......

http://www.livaudaisnet.com/mafit/barbara18b.jpg

This is her a few years ago sparring Barbara Kunkle, member and captain of the 2000 U.S. TKD Olympic Team.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that it would be wrong to put her with adults as I have had to spar with younger people and I have had to hold back alot and I think tha this was not training me, just my opponent.

Try teaching her against yourself, it will help her as long as you don't go to easy on her.

I wish her well in the regional qualifier next month.

The cool summer breeze passes me by.

Yes, let her spar adults. Kids I've had in class in the past have, and they can do pretty good sometimes. It makes them work harder

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

when i have to spar with smaller kids i let them work if the adults go hard and like all out then dont let her if the let her work and practice let her get the practice in

Have her spar with the adults, it will improve her more that sparring with other kids

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

To be honest I would say do both . Let her go against adults for the most part as challenge is always a good thing but sparring with other children (solid opposition) will allow her to find the range she will be facing in competition. Not to mention letting her ease up a bit and spar with freinds is great fun . I know I liked that part the best when I was a kid .

We are not so much individual beings as individual points of perception within one immense being.

Let her spar with the adults...they can get training out of it to. When I train with the kids, or even with new people in the adult class I just get a different workout. I can work on cardio and staying light on my toes...and control, since I make absolutely no contact when sparring with kids (I guess that should be an obvious thing but... you know :| ) As you said the size difference should help keep her used to sparring people bigger than her.

Good luck to her at the qualifier!

Thanks guys. You confirmed my thoughts. I just wanted her to see what other people's thoughts were too so she wouln't think that only daddy was coo-coo! :lol:

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

Sparring an adult, definitely not a good idea for repeated sparring. But once in a while, like once a month or once every few weeks...maybe a good training tool against taller/heavier bullies.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I would say it's practical to the MA real purpose, but I have no idea in sport... Hope I helped a little...

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant