karatekid101

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can die horseback riding, skiing, walking across the street, sitting in a movie theater, etc. I don't think you have too much to worry about when it comes to sparring, unless you feel like you need to go bareknuckle right away.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Like isshinryu5toforever said, its possible to die doing anything.

I wouldnt worry to much about it happening during sparring, there wouldnt be many people doing karate if it was a common occurrence.

I know of one case here where 1 person died after getting kicked in a tournament but never heard of anyone who died in class sparring...but it is always a possibility.

What works works

I've never heard of it happening, but I agree with most of the posts above.. could it happen? Sure, but I see it as very unlikely. But if you really want to think about it, you could die doing anything..

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

I heard of a young man who died in a semi-contact karate tournament. Apparently he got punched in the head. It is sad but we are all martial art practitioners and I think that we have to accept the risk that we will get hurt once in a while during our martial journey.

The risk of death however is not so high though and as another poster said, you can die doing anything. In closing I would say to lessen the risks even further, train hard, train regularly, correctly and don't be afraid.

KungFuMan

Only time and commitment will make your Traditional "style" good and give you real knowledge.

"Marry" your chosen system as opposed to just flirting with it.

Make it your partner for life and you will see how well and how complete it really is.

It is very unlikely that you will die in a sparring match, but as with all other forms of physical activity it is possible.

As long as you don't give it everything you've got and adhere to the guidelines/rules (no kicks to the throat, back etc.) you should be fine.

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence,

but in the mastery of his passions.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson