• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Coffee before class?

...or something stronger?

I find myself run down and tired after work sometimes, and I need a pick-me-up before class. Any suggestions on what I should do?

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caffiene seems to do me more harm than good when working out... this might just be me, but I'm pretty sure that its general. Anyone else know for sure?

Another pick-me-up (other than coffee)... I wouldn't really know :-? If decaf coffee works for you, go with that. Maybe gatorade or powerade?

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

when im tired, i just blast music on (i listen to metal) and it pumps me up :). that might work for you, maybe.

Im brasilian, but live in the united states. Really enjoying martial arts.

I'm a coffee drinker. The key is if you drink one cup of coffee, drink one class of water, so you don't get dehydrated (sp?). I do this always, so it hasn't effected my training.

So yea, if you drink a cup of coffee before training, it will give you a little boost. Just don't forget the water either ;)

Laurie F

hmmmI don't drink coffee before class that cheating jokin, somehow coffee are bad for u in my view stick with ornage juice.....coffee are for mornings

There will be a day that you can't cope with your life, I want you to look at the star and remember, I always smile back at you. luV u lots Jen

Protein and a complex carb about an hour or so before working out may help. Just don't eat too much! :wink: Also make sure you are well hydrated...that could also make you tired!

I made the mistake of drinking too much coffee before a test. It was the worst!!! I was extra nervous and blanked out.....most terrible test ever!

Kyo Sa Nim in KSW

Certified Personal Trainer

Health and Business Consultant

I find that caffinated beverages give me a little boost before class, but I HAVE to have a bottle of water with me during class or I will gag from dry mouth.

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

I used to drink caffeine before class, but as soon as I got serious and stuck around for hours of classtime I found I sort of crashed. So now I just get a good warm-up and plenty of water, that seems to get me ready.

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.

• 3 weeks later...

Natural is always better for your body...caffeine puts extra strain on your body and actually makes you more tired eventually. Plus, you become dependent on it after awhile, especially when you build a resistance to the caffeine and have to drink more and more just to stay awake. That sounds extreme, but I know people that are pretty coffee-crazy.

So ask yourself these questions:

How many hours of sleep do you get each night, on average? 8 is a good healthy number if not 9 or 10, anything below 6 is pretty bad, I think (as a habit).

What is your diet like? Do you eat a lot of fatty, processed foods that are high in sugar? Your food is your main source of energy. A well-balanced diet is an important key to energy, health, and athletic performance!

Finally: is this an endurance issue? Maybe you haven't been training that long, are just coming off of a break from training, or don't lead an otherwise active lifestyle, or maybe your classes are becoming more difficult. In that case it just takes time and effort for your body to adjust to the increased stress.

I hope that helped. :)

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.