• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Big Sensei :P

Chito

If you can not fit into a size 6 belt/gi you aint training at my dojo!

Do you also have a "you must be this tall to train in this dojo" sign like thay do for rides at amusement parks at the dojo door....Do you have a size 6 gi at the door also for prospective students to try on before they may join??? Who cares what the size tag or any tag for that matter on a gi says....putting the gi on, getting on the floor, and training your hardest is what matters. I am interested in what my sensei can teach me....It does not matter if he is wearing a gi or not, he has and is willing to share the knowledge if I am willing to work for it. The rest is superfical nonesense.

And as far as my build...I am 6'1" 240 lbs, 44" waist, 50" chest, I powerlift, and have done so for the past 14 1/2 years, run 3 times a week, and train 3 times a week.

I wear a Shureido gi...6.5 pants and 7 top and obi...So I guess I shold not let you know if I am every in town and would like to train :brow:

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a guy walk into our dojo that was 6'8" tall. That man needed to wear a size 7 at least, and he almost fit into an 8 if I recall. He was in good shape though, what about him?

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

overweight and healthy are two different things. it is also extremely difficult to label exactly what "overwieght" is because everyone is different.

i recall watching a documentary in health class discussing the so called overwieght apidemic we have here in North America. It went on to discuss that labelling someone overweight based on height is inferior. Their example was a clinicly dubbed "overweight" man who ran 10+ miles a day and traing for marathons.

AnonymousOne i generally agree with everything you say but this i do not, one of the best and most skilled sensei's i know could be considered overweight (quite tall too) although, he is very light on his feet. very fast, and powerful. and has one more tounaments then i can count.

"Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battle field."

it has been proven that if your belly is +35 you are at risk for many health/heart problems.

Wrap a measuring tape around the fullest part of your belly and record your waist circumference. If you're a male, a gut greater than 102 centimetres (40 inches) denotes an increased health risk. For females, a waist larger than 88 centimetres (35 inches) is considered unhealthy."

I, like most of those who have replied, really don't see the point that no senseis or Sifus, etc. should teach their martial art if they are overweight. I carry about 20-30 lbs extra and I am fairly well conditioned. (2 times a week of Judo and 2 times a week of hockey). What about those big linemens in football. Do you think they are not in good physical condition? Try taking their place for an entire game (these guy's cardio amaze me). The sifu I had when I used to take Wing Chun did have a bit of extra weight, but he was very proficient (saw pictures of him, used to be fit), and one of my present Judo intructors is somewhat overweight but he is still a very competent teacher. When you get older you slacken off a bit and it's quite understandable. I get the point that you should show example. But should you dismiss these masters who have so much to give because they carry some extra weight??

It just shows that they have no self control over food and drink. Just say no to desert :)

You are not born with a big belly, it comes from eating more than you really need. Or if you're a fat kid your parents are feeding you too much. Or these days, too much junk.

So to all the fat sensei's I say c'mon man get some self discipline and take control of your life.

Informer:

Again, who cares? Why would a fat sensei do that. It make no defference to their ability to teach MA. But if that's what you want to do then go your hardest.

I agree it has nothing to do with their ability. It is just personal preference that's all. Just like smoking has nothing to do with ability but I will not train with people who smoke because I dont respect black belts who smoke. Like I said, I do agree it has nothing to do with ability but lots to do with philosophy and character.

Heh. Many Japanese big cheese sensei smoke like they'd be chimneys. They also drink quite a bit. And well, there's nothing wrong with it - after all, karate is just karate. It shouldn't stop one from enjoying life in the way he chooses to.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

I mean how would any of this stuff work if we didn't force it to work by having really big muscles and being able to do 80 pushups or more?

Besides, doing 80+ pushups doesn't require one to have big, strong muscles. It only requires muscle stamina - which is most easily acquired by having slow muscle fibers. Doing high reps of pushups very often will actually hinder one's ability to use their arms fast.

I have never understood the idea of having to do 100 pushups for shodan etc. that is seen in some schools. "Man! He sure is slow but he's pretty darn good in doing pushups!"

Ridiculous.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland