• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Big Sensei :P

Chito

I think the value of a martial arts instructor, or any instructor of anything for that matter, should be judged by the abilities of his students. Period. It is a trivial endeavor to prove that a teacher's physique has zero relevance on their ability to teach and the quality of the knowledge they impart.

Matsumura Seito Shorin-Ryu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AnonymousOne is joking? i cant tell for sure

Hell no I am not joking. A martial arts teacher has to have credibility. A martial arts teacher must be able to demonstrate what he expects.

An overweight teacher is no example to students at all. A martial artist who is worth their salt, wont have any extra fat at all. They should be at the peak of their physical fitness.

One would never expect to see an overweight Miss Universe nor an overweight martial artist. They are as compatible as chalk and cheese

Following your logic, you can't be short and be a basketball coach. Some of the best coaches in basketball history have been short (e.g. Pete Carril). While it certainly helps if someone can demonstrate everything they expect, it is not always required. Would you say that someone who was a great instructor who was then paralyzed shouldn't teach anymore? (I'm not saying that being overweight and being paralyzed are the same thing)

Would I personally be suspicious of an overweight martial artist? Sure, but that doesn't mean that they aren't a great teacher.

Wow... interesting response.

Again, my instructor was considered one of the best in the country and even known world wide in our style. And having produced, trained and coached so many competitors of world class calibre says something.

And although he was chubby and geeky, I pity the person who would have tangled with him. Same with my current sensei.

And for the negative comment, think you could keep up with Sammo Hung Kam-Bo :lol:

My Instructor is 8' 10", 750 lbs and can palm a medicine ball.

but seriously, very tall and with a lot of weight. he also has the fastest hands of anyone i've ever met. he probably couldn't keep up on the track, but he could whoop up on anyone, no matter how skinny.

Some of my aikido teachers are overweight but their level of skill is unquestionable.

None of my kyokushin karate teachers are overweight. I guess that is because of the physical requirements that are included in the grading process.

I think it differs from style to style. Some MAs rely heavily on fitness and strength (such as Kyokushin) and others on techniques and agility (such as aikido)

I don't think being overweight disqualifies you as a teacher but I think all MA practitioners, especially those who teach, should strive to be as fit as possible. Both for their own sake but also to be a good example.

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence,

but in the mastery of his passions.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Just a note about chubby Asian sensei. Every function of the body circulates around the center. So, being a little bigger around the waist, is a good thing. It shows health. They don't traditionally prescribe to the chiseled ab look that has become so popular in America.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

I don't really agree with that. In Okinawa a good number of the higher ranking instructors had a bit of a belly. They would joke about it when they would drink beer after class saying that they needed to work on their center of gravity. Now they weren't grossly overweight but many were at least 30 or 40 pounds over their "optimum" weight for their height.

Further more many people have a genetic predisposition to weight and they can be very serious and become very good martial artists. It is very possible to spend just as much time as anyone else but weigh twice as much. One student of my sensei is such a person and he probably weighs about 300lbs. He works out about as much as I do, maybe more. If he were to keep up with it for another 10 years or so I think he would make a great teacher. You shouldn't be so quick to judge based just off of appearance or weight. The tiniest and skinniest instructor may have once been a champion weight lifter (Seikichi Odo) and could be a lot stronger then you might think. Likewise a seemingly obese man might be a lot more athletic and quick then you might first think. I would suggest judging your instructors seriousness and dedication by the quality of his material and the effectiveness of his application rather then by his body fat ratio.

I agree with this. Most of the higher ranking sensei in thsi system that I have worked with move with such grace, speed and accuracy..DESPITE having a gut on them, that you woudl be amazed. I've asked these sensei before about this and several have also stated as an inside joke, that we all have Shorin Ryu bellies.

The days of the 6 pack have graduated to the days of the 12-pack, easy container I think.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

If you can not fit into a size 6 belt/gi you aint training at my dojo!

Does that mean that tall people aren't allowed to train in your dojo? Nor the ones who prefer longer belts?

Tournament cut size 6 or "classical cut" 6? Which belt brand? :D

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

If you can not fit into a size 6 belt/gi you aint training at my dojo!

Well, I'm 6'6" (198cm) tall, 240 lbs, wear a szie 4 pant, size 5 jacket and a size 6 belt...so I guess I can't come and play in your dojo. To bad too...I was really looking forward to it. :roll:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"