Chito

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WKF does not award "dan-rank" are you thinking JKF?

I'm sorry I was in a rush when I wrote that. Let me clarify what I meant.

He is ni-dan in the JKF.

He is trying to rank as in '#1 kata competitor in the WKF'. Nothing to do with Dan rank, just with being 'the best at kata' and sparring to...but his current focus has been kata, he won gold at the goodwill games a few years ago for sparring so he wants to see if he can make it 'big' in kata as well.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Chado

Well Chad that is a great goal your teacher has.

Since 1970 only once has a Canadian made it to the podium in kata for WKF and that was just last year. The guy who did it placed 3rd and he is also 5x Canadian Champion & Jr. Champion.

Now to make it to the Canadian championships you first have to be provincial champ and I have never seen your sensei at the provincial tournaments so I would say he has a long way to go. But anything is possible.

The kata people from British Columbia hav dominated the Canadian Nationals for many years.

http://www.wkf.net/html/world.html

WKF does not award "dan-rank" are you thinking JKF?

I'm sorry I was in a rush when I wrote that. Let me clarify what I meant.

He is ni-dan in the JKF.

He is trying to rank as in '#1 kata competitor in the WKF'. Nothing to do with Dan rank, just with being 'the best at kata' and sparring to...but his current focus has been kata, he won gold at the goodwill games a few years ago for sparring so he wants to see if he can make it 'big' in kata as well.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Chado

It wasn't until he started training in Texas in the last couple years that he started to want to compete at a high level with kata...our club wins alot of the local stuff, as I said this saturday will be the provincials for the WKA so we will see how he does (and how I do in kumite!) I'll post back afterwords.

But even if he does't win (or hit the podium) for kata in the WKF in the next 2 or 3 years while I'm training with him, the fact that he is trying to attain that level...has goals like that and is training for that, inspires me to train harder.

That's just me though ;)

Chado

Let's bring this back home, folks.

This thread is for illustrating that just because someone may not be in great physical condition, that does not mean that they can't be a great instructor or Sensei. This thread is for you to share your experiences of this being true. So, let's stick to that.

Thanks.