• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Learning the language

gojoinstructor

Another post got me thinking about this so I figured I would ask the forum. How many schools out there actually learn the language (or relevant words from it) for the art form that they study.. We have sheets that we hand out for every test that our students study (me too!) and we usually speak it during the test and if they get it wrong they do push ups.. IE - when warming up I'll say migi or hidari, etc...

My instructor believes a well rounded karate-ka should know as much about the art, its history and origin as possible.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Usually the basic training class words are used - techniques, directions, excercises, commands etc.

I don't necessarily thing that it's "learning the language", though - it's just being ready for international seminars and visiting other dojo. And well, it's an exotic thing as well - "maegeri" sounds more stylish than "etupotku" (Finnish) or "front kick".

My instructor believes a well rounded karate-ka should know as much about the art, its history and origin as possible.

I agree. It's also fun to learn Okinawan terms to some things - not using Japanese, but Uchina guchi, Okinawan language. Of course, basic Japanese (and Okinawan dialect, Uchina hogen) is used as well.

Necessary? Not really. Fun and exotic? Most definitely. Bow towards the birth island of karate? Oh yes.

Edited by Jussi Häkkinen

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Usually the basic training class words are used - techniques, directions, excercises, commands etc.

Same here.. past that, we don't use any japanese in the dojo. For beginner classes, usually our sensei uses both japanese and english names for techniques so we eventually learn the names for techniques.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

I've met someone who taught himself Japanese (not just simple Japanese, but fluency) so when he went to Okinawa (something he did and still does on a regular basis...several times a year), he would be able to learn much more. From what he says, he learned quite a bit after going out to drink with all of them and then clearing away the tables and asking them about various things...I'm sure it's a combination of this and simply being able to speak the language in the dojo in Okinawa (I'm pretty sure he just knows Japanese and probably only some Okinawan) really helped. He is extremely skilled and knowledgeable, so it has apparently paid off.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

My Sensei has a sheet of terms (all of our basics, katas, important terms/words) that we're not so much expected to know, more that it is of our benefit to know.

We go over our basics almost every class, and the basics are announced in Japanese, so if you don't know your language, you're going to be behind.

Especially 1-20 in Japanese, for warm-up counts.

Lure with bait; Strike with chaos.

~ I: Making of Plans, "Art of War", Sun Tzu.

In my TSD school, we learned the techniques by the Korean names. In my TKD school now, not much, except for bowing, ect. BUT I am just starting to learn the Korean language. It's not an easy language to learn though LOL.

Laurie F

We do all commanding in Japanese during kihon. For the most fancy techniques the instructor translate the term in Italian, I found this hard at the beginning but suddently, when you get used to it, you start understanding. The process is not gradual it just "turn on" at some time.

Most clubs will try to instruct using some Japanese (name of the techniques).

Anything beyond that depends on the instructors ability in speaking the language.

beware of instructors who think they can speak Japanese whey they can't. I have met a few. :o

We also just learn the basic stuff, stances, techniques, etc: Not much else besides.

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei