• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate/Judo/Sumo what do the share in common?

All i know is that karate and sumo have a low kiba datchi stance. Karate and Judo share strikes and takedowns to some extent. So can some traing methods be crossed over to help like i hear that Sumos do stomp training to strenghen there legs and have tough palms from hitting poles. As for Judo im not sure how it could compliment Karate methods or vice versa.

And for those who laugh at Sumos need to do some research they are tougher than they look.

28 movies, 50 years Godzilla is King of the Monsters

"nothing like a good workout" Paul Pheonix

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Don't know much about sumo and its training.

Judo may improve the grappling part of karate, even if in this case I would try JJ.

I also heard that some time ago in Japan Judo/karate or Ju Jitsu/karate was a usual cross-training combination.

they share various principles - for example, in grappling, they seek to take your balance in order to throw you. however, they differ in the means of doing so. A judoka will do this by kazushi - "gentle" off balancing - using your own energy to keep you going in a certain direction, then throw you in that same direction. Sumo is more like chinese shuai chiao in this respect - they will off balance you forcefully, usually by setting up with some type of hand or shoulder strike.

principles of maintaining balance will likely be the same.

As for training methods, they are likely specific to the art, and wouldn't be the most efficient thing for another style. For example, practicing my kazushi may not help me much if I'm training sumo.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Judo came from jujutsu and jujutsu came from sumo, so they must have something in common.

Also, the fighting arts of okinawa have been influenced to some extemt by sumo and jujutsu.

So all 3 (sumo, jujutsu and karate) will have common elements.

Judo came from jujutsu and jujutsu came from sumo, so they must have something in common.

Also, the fighting arts of okinawa have been influenced to some extemt by sumo and jujutsu.

Jujutsu is not Sumo derivitive as far as i know , it has been influanced by Sumo but has chinese origins ..

is Jujutsu and JiuJitsu the same ?????

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

• 2 weeks later...

ok Ted whatever do you need to do?

I wonder why people always think that the low Kiba Datchi is always a sumo thing isnt it in Karate,Tae Kwon Do, varous Kung Fu styles(sorry cant name all 400 of them)

28 movies, 50 years Godzilla is King of the Monsters

"nothing like a good workout" Paul Pheonix

Jujutsu is not Sumo derivitive as far as i know , it has been influanced by Sumo but has chinese origins ..

is Jujutsu and JiuJitsu the same ?????

jujutsu cannot be verifiably linked to china... there is actually a debate about that going on on the chinese arts forum.

As for the spellings, yes, they are the same. jujutsu is the most correct romanization. jiu jitsu is a less correct form. However, that name was adopted by the brazilians when bjj was created. so these days, jujutsu is associated with the japanese style and jiu jitsu with the brazilian.