• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 belts is bloody ridiculous. That's stupid!

Oh god i hate the belt system with a vengeance!

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

• 1 month later...
we have enough problems with people getting black belts in two years or less without worrying about skipping ranks,my god where does it all end..soon youll be a black belt if you complete an introductury course..i would rather be a white belt for 10 years and know i can "handle my own" than to be some dissulusioned 3rd or fourth dan who cant even throw a front kick properly..whats the rush or the emphasis with belts??? just relax and enjoy your martial arts training try to improve everyday but never assume that the color of your belt or your title will somehow through some secret power improve you as a martial artist or a person..there are things in life you cannot buy..being an authentic martial artist is one of them.

Javier l Rosario

instructor taekwondo/hapkido

under master Atef s Himaya

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

I agree with the belt system so long as they represent signifigent progress in all areas of your art. I don't agree with belts being awarded for time served or paying for the test. Also a test should test a persons emotional and psychological boundries. I think I'm going to go start a thread concerning belt tests.

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky"

-Hendrix

• 9 months later...

We do have belt skippings in my school, but it always comes with prior knowledge. My dad tested straight for orange belt but he was an amazing white belt and had 3 red belts for sons, so he's been around the school. Other people that double test have been in other styles. I tested sorta early for yellow belt cuz my brothers were both greens and my friends were red so I'd been around too.

cho dan TSD

"Every second that you are not training, someone somewhere is training to kick your butt"- Kyo Sa Lyle (my instructor)

"Where we going in 5 months?!?!?!" "Cali!!"

-Spring Break '04

"Life begins at 130 mph".

Kyle, we don't follow the 10 gup system either...ours is

White, High White (only if you're under 16)

Yellow, High Yellow

Orange, High Orange

Blue, High Blue

Green, High Green

Red, High Red

Brown, High Brown

Junor Black (only if you're under 16)

Black

So If you are under 16, there are 16...otherwise 14. I think the belt system is good for people who are taking TKD as a first martial art, and we aren't always on a particular schedule, and if you have any prior knowledge in a striking style you'll probably move up quicker.

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

I studied TSD. Then I moved and started TKD. The TKD school advanced me fast to green (almost), because of my pior expeience. I agreed with it at first, but now I don't. I went from white to high yellow in 4 and a half months (white, high white, orange, high orange, yellow, high yellow, ect). That's 6 grades in TKD. I've only been high yellow for a month (each grade takes 3 or so months usually) and I'm testing for green next month. 7 grades in 6 months eeekkkk). I wanna slow down, because I'm not getting a chance to learn techniques. I learn the motions of forms, then test again (no time to work on technique ggggrrrrr).

I started at white belt in TKD, and I thought I would love the idea of advancing fast. NOT. I'm in no hurry. I'd rather LEARN something than get a rank I don't deserve.

Laurie S.

Yellow belt/green stripe TKD

(formally 5th gup blue belt TSD)

[ This Message was edited by: karatekid1975 on 2002-05-24 19:53 ]

Laurie F

I've seen people skip ranks before but i disagree with it. I personally however, skipped a few stripes on my green belt but that was only because my instructor chose to keep me at that rank for 3 years. So he felt I had long passed the point at which to test for the stripes.

Pete

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!