• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What does BB really mean to you?

Ok, this thread went by the way-side, but I wanna bring it up again.

Ok, I am supposed to write an essay for BB (which isn't for a while) but, I have written a few things already (I am a wanna-be-writer also). I am writing a paper on what BB means to me. Here is a sample (I might use this as a KF article as well):

"A black belt isn’t something you wear. It’s something you become. Although the outward benefits of being a black belt, may at first seem materialistic and superficial, an extra line to fill on your job applications or an achievement to brag to your friends about, its real significance goes much deeper. The black belt encourages you to set a good example, to be a role model both in and outside of class. Having a black belt adds a responsibility of acting like a black belt, of behaving responsibly, working diligently, and outwardly projecting and living by the tenets and the student oath."

Another part says: "Martial arts are unique. It constantly challenges and shapes you, making you come face to face with your own weaknesses and insecurities, you only have two choices, to overcome them or give in. Every time you overcome them you become stronger and more positive. This is not only a great personal realization and benefit; it is also a valuable gift to share with others. "

Opinions?

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About the first part I agree at least in part with jarrettmayer.

In order train with discipline in MA you've got to have the right mindset since the beginning (white belt), probably an expert instructor can guess with a reasonable failure rate if a white belt student is going to become a BB or not. What BB adds is a sign of perseverance, aside the obvious technical and physical capability. BB is the sign that he kept his passion alive for a 3-4-5+ years whatever needed to become one.

I think that in the adult class the role model stuff is quite secondary IMHO.

About the self-challanging nature of MA I completely agree with you karatekid1975.

i also agree with the self-challenging aspect of MA.

BB for me is also synonym of profficiency and a symbol of everything required to aquire it, dedication, will, you name it.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence thus, is not an act, but a habit. --- Aristotle

Modified quote from "Knockaround Guys" about fighting...a friend gave me this one.

Along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Ok, this thread went by the way-side, but I wanna bring it up again.

Another part says: "Martial arts are unique. It constantly challenges and shapes you, making you come face to face with your own weaknesses and insecurities, you only have two choices, to overcome them or give in. Every time you overcome them you become stronger and more positive. This is not only a great personal realization and benefit; it is also a valuable gift to share with others. "

Opinions?

You got it!!!!!! :nod:

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

It's like, "You must lose your self to find yourself."

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

It's like, "You must lose your self to find yourself."

Yeah, that's exactly it.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

The BB is the start of real learning.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"