• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thinking about taking up Kickboxing, Muay Thai or Boxing?

I have been a kickboxing practicioner for the last several years. I took it up, not surprisingly, for self-defence purposes and overall fitness. I am now glad that my trainer is a good one, because otherwise I would have fallen into a trap that some of the people I know fell into.

I'm writing this because a lot of the threads here ask questions about the power and real-life applicability of such styles. While kickboxing has made me fitter, some of the things that my trainer said to me regarding my attitude have made me think, especially in the last several months. While knowing a "powerful" or "realistic" fighting style may increase your chances of winning in a fair 1-on-1 fight, it is very unlikely that, if you are threatened physically, the situation will be fair. What's more, violence can usually be avoided, and if you want to flaunt your power to prove your martial proficiency, you never know what you might run into - an guy with a knife or gun, a guy with some buddies around the corner, etc. Violence can and should be avoided, even for people who are incredibly good at their chosen style.

As for people considering Muay Thai because they have seen videos or images of Muay Thai fighters.. Most pro fighters in Thailand are trained from early childhood and fight for other people's entertainment. It is unlikely that the average person will ever be that good at Muay Thai, unless they truly dedicate themselves to it (think spending a large portion of your day training). And even if you do end up with the ability to beat up everyone you meet, what next? Will you still be good at a martial art with a physical emphasis when you're older?

While I naturally respect people in physical, applied and competition-based martial arts (I'm a kickboxer myself, remember) I would advise that anyone looking to become superpowerful reconsiders. Improving yourself on a non-physical level may offer longer-lasting benefits than being able to kick someone's *.

P.S. I will quit kickboxing in 3 months, and probably switch to an internal martial art around September. Hope I didn't bore anyone.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I'm writing this because a lot of the threads here ask questions about the power and real-life applicability of such styles. While kickboxing has made me fitter, some of the things that my trainer said to me regarding my attitude have made me think, especially in the last several months. While knowing a "powerful" or "realistic" fighting style may increase your chances of winning in a fair 1-on-1 fight, it is very unlikely that, if you are threatened physically, the situation will be fair.

recently, there was an article about a muay thai practitioner who chased three men out of his home who were assaulting his mother. The three men had weapons. All of them left the house running, and the thai fighter had only minor injuries. I'll dig up the article.

As for people considering Muay Thai because they have seen videos or images of Muay Thai fighters.. Most pro fighters in Thailand are trained from early childhood and fight for other people's entertainment. It is unlikely that the average person will ever be that good at Muay Thai, unless they truly dedicate themselves to it (think spending a large portion of your day training). And even if you do end up with the ability to beat up everyone you meet, what next?

okay - do you think that your average kung fu student will become as skilled as chang tung sheng? what about wong fei hung? sun lu tang? To become extremely proficient at ANY martial art takes extreme dedication. Most people will never reach such a level.

Will you still be good at a martial art with a physical emphasis when you're older?

actually, yes. I know someone who fought a full contact match to celebrate his 50th birthday. the current ufc heavyweight champ is 43. One of my judo coaches is 76 and he can still beat the young guys. Not only that, but when he was 74, he chased a burglar out of his home. you can't COMPETE AT A HIGH LEVEL at an advanced age, but can you still defend oiurself? definitely. And people like randy couture are even proving you can compete at an advanced age. As I stated, he's 43.

While I naturally respect people in physical, applied and competition-based martial arts (I'm a kickboxer myself, remember) I would advise that anyone looking to become superpowerful reconsiders. Improving yourself on a non-physical level may offer longer-lasting benefits than being able to kick someone's *.

do them all at the same time. spiritually, you can go to church. philosophically, you can read. physically, train.

P.S. I will quit kickboxing in 3 months, and probably switch to an internal martial art around September. Hope I didn't bore anyone.

why?

By internal he means something like tai chi or the ba gua systems.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

from this sunday im gona be training in all three.

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

By internal he means something like tai chi or the ba gua systems.

I know what he means - taiji, bagua, xingyi, piqua, etc. I'm curious as to his reasoning, which is why I provided some counter agruments to his points for him.

Well, im new to Muay Thai,

Boxing- help you with punching, obviouly with good footwok

Kickboxing - You'll lern alot of punching and kicking

Muay Thai, long, medium, close quarter combat,

There will be a day that you can't cope with your life, I want you to look at the star and remember, I always smile back at you. luV u lots Jen

I think I can understand (and also somehow agree with) what Georgi says Kickboxing is very good for competition and can be good also for self defence, but sooner or later you realize that is not as rich as a TMA (not only an internal one IMO). You spend your life perfecting few techniques which is good if you compete, it is also good for self defence but then if you stop competing, sooner or later you fell the need of something richer. This is also why I left kickboxing for karate and Tai chi chuan, I maybe lost some proficiency in fighting but I gained in fun.

I don't understand the concept of "richer" I left TMA for sport MA - I don't care about "richness"...that's why there are still a ton of MAs in existence though - because different people are attracted to different MA for various reasons.

I think what SS is trying to say is, people take kickboxing because it's right for them: the competitiveness, cardio, drive, and challenge it offers allows those of us that are athletic to really enjoy it. There's also people who enjoy discipline, perfection, and mindful martial arts too, and that's fine and dandy, but to say doing something non-physical is better is outrageous and unfair to those of us that enjoy it in that sense.

Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.