• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Slaughtered By Sensei?

I don't think that a good Instructor will ever injure a student. Everything that they do is for a good reason. For demonstrations they might use a little pressure or force to actually show you what it feels like. In sparring, they teach you to keep your guard up.

At my Jr. Black Belt test, i got roughed up by my Instructor's Instructor. At first i really thought that he was just taking his anger out on me. All of the parents and kids in the audience were appalled. I've since come to realize that he was just pushing me to my limit. Although he might have busted my lips, blackened my eyes, possibly slightly broken my nose and tore my gi off, i don't think he injured me; he taught me that i can persevere.

anytime your Instructor chooses you to demonstrate a technique or spars with you, charish it and be honored.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. I was coaching a class tonight (required for red belts to help in class) and the instructor used me as a dummy. We were doing throws and joint locks. It hurt a bit, but I didn't complain or anything. It's kind of like what scottnshelly said. I do cherish it when I'm called to be the dummy. One reason, I learn from it. I know what it feels like. Another reason is, I can see the technique done up close. So I don't mind it at all if it hurts a little.

Laurie F

I agree that a sensei will not injure his students. My sensei has really good control although there was a girl who had such good control she could punch full speed and pretty much touch your peach fuzz. Now that's good control.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

My TKD instructor once cracked three of my ribs with a side kick. Since then I always wear a hogo (chest protector). I've also gotten better at sparring him and have been able to nail him in the head a few times. But then he gets revenge!

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

Many times the willingness to take a few hard knocks from the instructor is a benefit. From the time I was a yellow belt I worked out almost exclusively with brown and black belts. I was willing to take the hits to learn from them. No one ever intentionally hurt me but I did get hurt sometimes. Those guys go at it a lot harder than the lower belts. But by the time I got my brown belt I had learned hundreds of black belt techniques. I was the dummy in a lot of demonstrations and glad to be there.

With other students I've taken a few hard hits, but never really been injured. With my teacher and other black belts I've been the dummy plenty of times, but also never been injured. Any time we practice a lock or break, we can always tap out.

It can be difficult to learn a technique from that perspective, so they are usually repeated with a few dummies.

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

A rule of thumb in martial arts is that you only get hit as hard as you hit weather your fighting your sensei or a sempai. So only hit as hard as you would like to be hit back.

That's a matter of debate too. When sparring, you feel that you are not hitting hard, but to the other person it is hard. So he starts to hit back harder. So you take it up a knotch. It just continues to escalate. I see it happen all the time.

And no one wants to be the one to say its getting too rough. They feel they would look like a whimp if they did. Thy don't want others talking about them and calling them sissy.

The instructor, or assistant instructors, should be watching any contact drills or free sparring and managing it. Our instructor likes to spar, so often he doesn't monitor whats going on and people (especially kids) get hurt or injured.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

I find the sensei does a lot of demos herself and we all get a chance to do the technique with the sensei. I find it is a great method. Although not very useful in huge classes.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Doing karate I've never spaqrred with my senseis during classes, when I was doing kickboxing I sparred my instructorseveral times, but although he could obviously outclass me, he never was brutal, always controlled.

Regarding demostration one of my sensei uses me a lot on grappling and throwing demos... he starts saying... I would like to show you how this technique works on big guys. :D