• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Lazy Training Partners.

The Phenom

You might have experienced it before. My Aikido class has a lot of younger members. I'm 15, the top age for my current class, so when I'm 16 I'll go to the older group.

How do you react if training partners are lazy? They don't try; make partner work difficult; don't really respect you - - it doesn't happen all the time, just tonight I had to put up with it. And I don't like it, so what should I do if I end up with someone like this?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ask for a new partner. I would politely talk to your instructor about your seriousness in your training and ask to be put with people who are there to train and not just take up space.

Can you tell that this is a pet peeve of mine? :lol:

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

I haven't had that problem lately. I keep getting partnered with a 2nd dan (I'm 2nd gup/kyu), and she is definitely not lazy.

BUT I have been stuck with "unwilling" partners. Most of them were youngsters (I'm not saying all youngsters are this way, just the ones I partnered with). I kinda deal with it, I guess. Once in a while, I do show them a simple technique to wake them up (like kick them so close to their nose, then STOP hehehehe).

Laurie F

Might sound mean but; Intimidate them, say something quiet but forcefull in Japanese and look them in the eye with an intimidating stare.

It works in my Dojo, well until it closed (Not because of me!)

The cool summer breeze passes me by.

i know its mean but if they are being lazy just usually punch them hard in the face to wake them up and to fight propperly if they dont want to get hit again. now my class has only 6 students including me i dont have that problem.

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

You sound like a.... Well bully. I mean no harm in this but that is a lot mean, At least say something before you hit them.

Maybe an attitude tone down would get more members, But my Dojo closed so maybe I can't advise. Although it was a 'MC' Dojo.

The cool summer breeze passes me by.

I don't know if Ben is being mean but, I garantee if you hit someone a couple of times the WILL block faster and harder next time. :)

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.