• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is this guy for real??

It states a bit further down that he has 25 years of experience in the martial arts. IMHO, that isn't enough time, regardless of how hard you work at it, to get anywhere near 9th Dan in one system, let alone several.

ya in our organisation it takes about 45-50 years to reach 9th...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the amount of Dans is definitly too high

(I counted a total of 43 Dans that in 25 years is almost 2 Dans a year not to mention coulored belt periods ) to be legitimate... He still may be a good MAist but is not definitively a humble one. :D :lol:

How can somebody master so many different styles and be at such a high grade. Not possible, starting there own systems up and giving them-selves high ranks,

I think you can get to a certain level training in different styles but not 9th dan in 4/5 different systems

Totally fake. Sorry, I'm not quick to judge, but unless these are all McDojos where they have one of those "in one year, we'll get you to black belt! just give us your credit card and personalinformation..." plans then it's just fake, selfpromotion or something of the like.

BTW, Shorin-ryu Sensei, awesome post! Love to see people like Mr. Moneymaker put in their places (not to be rude to him, just hate people who make MA's look like fools.)

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

I know this is off subject (well kind of ) I was reading in his bio that he was inducted into the World Martial Arts Hall of fame in Canton Ohio .

In all the places in all the world I would have never guessed in a million years that it was in Ohio . Not that I have ever really followed those kind of things but WOW ! Thats a new one for me .

We are not so much individual beings as individual points of perception within one immense being.

I think he is in texas I am considering going down and watching this guy so I can give you all an update on how it is.

If you could do that...GREAT! I'm really wondering if he teaches a class himself, or just has his students teaching for him. Oftentimes I've found that these higher dans don't teach anymore except to just their higher students, which I think is a mistake. You have to keep in touch with your "roots", and what better way than to teach all belt levels?

Looking forward to your report if you can do that krzychicano.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

The only way people get to have 4-5 9th Dan rankings is a combination of self-promotion and through "honorary" ranks being awarded. Personally, if another style gave me rank in their style, I might display the pretty certificate, but it would be in a frame that clearly said "Honorary" on it.

It's the same kind of deal with people who are awarded Honorary Doctorates by colleges for coming in to speak... It doesn't mean their are a doctor in that philosophical discipline.

After 25 years, the guy probably knows his stuff in one style...

After 23 years, I wouldn't hazzard to either promote myself or try certificate collecting... Sounds like the guy is trying to pump himself up in MA circles to inflate his rep,... If I were him I'd just be a Master in ONE style and join a lot of civic organizations...

Master Jason Powlette

5th Dan, Tang Soo Do

--Tang Soo!!!