• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help to fight Goliath

psychomom

I am a 36 year old female and have been studing world oyama style for almost a year. I generally spar with people my own height, but last time I tested I sparred with a young man who was a foot bigger than I am. :o

His arms and legs are way longer than mine are so by the time I was trying to move , he hit me, and I couldn't get close. Kind of like someone holding your forehead with their arm straight out and you are punching and cant reach them. :D

That said, I have several questions

1. Any drills or moves that I could practice that will help me get in on a biggie. (I tend to stand my ground and take a hit and then retaliate) I am working on moving more, but I want to be efficient, and not pick up a bad habit I will need to break later.

2. Kicks, punches or any other technique (or modification) that is effective on biggies

3. Any mental or strategies that work well.

This is my first post, and I appreciate any feedback.

psychomom :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People with reach are at a natural advantage in kicking range, so you dont want to stay there.

Obviously you understand you need to move in, so the question is "how?".

First off, it's my styles tactic to work circularly, moving to the outside, and we have techniques for that. For example, we have a downward block that is actually a semi-passive sliding block with a hooked hand to trap front kicks, and its something that you can really control an opponent with.

But generally, you need to be light on your feet, and you need to disable his leg advantage. Catch, hook, move in or move to the outside. Everything you do should always be moving in, never moving backwards.

Also, keep him walking in a circle, that will equalize things a bit and make it easier for you to get to him.

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.

good thing about your sparing is that you don't have to protect against punch in the face, you have to move in right after his kicks,and block and punch over his punch, he will moves back to create the distance you gotta move with him and keep it in a close range although still he is stronger than you, but watch for his sweeps too he will try to take you down this also can be done by you.

good luck

As has already been stated you do need to move in a circular fashion. You need to be very light on your feet and avoid his ranges(outside to beginning of the mid-range).

You do not want to take any punishment on your way in so you need to learn to parry his attacks. If you try to block or "eat" any of his attacks it will only lead to your own body receiving the pain. Work on slipping and evading.

As for techniques to use: stick to the side kick and low roundhouse mixed with hooking and uppercut punches.

With only one year under your belt you should look at your own progress and just try to get better, not get even. In time you will be able to deal with a more diverse group of individuals.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

Thanks for the suggestions. No revenge involved, I know that it will take time to learn which is why I asked my questions. Sparring him was good for me, I learned places that I need to improve on. I am learning to understand my body's strengths and weaknesses and learning how to use the basic techniques in different situations but being a beginner sometimes it is hard to know where to start. I appreciate the suggestions, and cant wait to try the circular motion, or evading.

Are there any good drills I can do at home to improve these things. I have a heavy bag, and some handheld kick pads, and a willing husband. 8)

Thanks,

psychomom :karate:

i think you have the right idea and the right attitude, which is the first step. if you think of it as a revenge game, you're gonna' miss a lot of opportunities.

we have a guy at the dojang, we all call him big don. he's around 6'3 and probably 250 lbs. a very strong fella, and kind of a pain to spar against. i ran into the same problem you have now. so i'd ask him to train with me after class a few times, and tell him to just jab at my head. jab jab jab. again and again, and i experimented with it, swaying, trapping, cutting angles, all sorts of stuff. most importantly, these helped a great deal my sense of rythyhm and took away that second where you see a punch coming at you and shut your eyes. i recommend you do the same. it's most important, i think, to do it out of self benefit though, and not to do it to kick *. had i done the latter, i don't think i'd have learned as much as i did as fast, and i got a good training buddy out of it. :)

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

There is a very tall man in our dojo was well. I enjoy getting in very close, because it takes him longer to respond to my attacks. He can get out quickly, so I have learned to get very fast and in there.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Funny...I just had a sparring session yesterday where I sparred 2 very tall dudes. Both were about 6'3", with one of them having a wide build...not fat/obease(sp). The other thin with albatross arms :brow:

I myself am a short guy at 5'6", so not only did I give up the height, but the reach too :x .....However, what I worked on was my timing so that I could jam their attacks. Worked out for the most part, but I did take a few shots. If I allowed them to keep me at their range, it would have been a very long day for me :dodgy:

I was successful with the front leg sweep on the tall thin guy, but not so much on the bigger guy. Came down to weight really. Trying to sweep the bigger guy, was like trying to kick out a tree trunk :P Also I went for a groin kick on the bigger guy, and ran into his tree trunk size thigh. Eventually I was successful, but it was all about the timing and angle :wink:

Needless to say, I was very fortunate since it has been a while since I last sparred anyone of that size :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

everything people are saying is good also try "closing him" i'am not sure of you style but i'am sure they have one, try this when he throws a left jab use a left inside middle block holding his arm he will not be able to hit you or "close him" this leavse him very open to your right hand or foot, step in useing a ridge hand and sweep to floor, then your finish> just keep him closed .

It's not size of the dog in the fight ,it's the size of the fight in the dog.