• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many pushups can you do?

ShotokanKid

"proper push ups"

i hear that all the time...can somebody define what is proper? then, is it subjective or is there an international standard or smth?

one interesting thing: when i do 100 pushups next to people, some are quick to say 'oh... thats not proper pushups', to which i just reply 'get down on the floor and let me see how much of "my" pushups you can do'. it turns out he maxed out at about 30 and couldnt say anything more.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence thus, is not an act, but a habit. --- Aristotle

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Proper" is a subjectice term, considering the variety of push-ups. I do most of mine explosively (for well, explosiveness), and usually in high number. For endurance I'll do them slowly or at a moderate speed, and over a longer period of time.

I don't let my chest quite touch the ground, that would take some weight off of the lift.

I've never done more than 64 in a minute...if I work on the endurance for a few weeks I should be able to hit at least 70 (my muscles tend to get numb during the last 10 seconds, this slows my rate).

Push-ups are definitely not a measure of a martial artist. They're just a good exercise to help improve explosiveness and endurance, and to strengthen the parts of the arms, chest, wrist, and fingers you choose to implement.

To condemn the art of another is to condemn your own as well. We all have the same origin.

Right now, I can barely break 30 ... out of practice since I switched to Aikido as my main style, as we don't do them. I still do bench presses in the gym, but not for endurance....

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

I normally just do 30 pushups a day, and 40 when I feel that I have the strength. But hey, I'm only 13. I'm trying to best myself, and that's what'll make me improve.