• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many pushups can you do?

ShotokanKid

Arms are not so good- so around 50 in 1.5-2 minutes. Working up to more by doing sets of 20 diamond, then 30 situps, then 20 knuckle, 30 leg raises...

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow , Is this a testosterone question or what :) The max I have ever done was 75. I have never tried doing more. The only reason I did 75 was that I challenged my students by giving them 5 minutes to knock me off of a 6 inch stepper while doing jumping side thrust kicks. Now these were my 7 - 15 year olds intermediates (mostly boys) not adults. They only were able to get me 3 times. Now some of my teenage students are huge. I have 2 that are 15 and taller than me. (and I'm 6') I was trying to teach them that you could be as strong as an ox, but a technique that is not accurate is ineffective. While someone who may not be as physically as strong as there opponent could still be. They had fun try to "best" the instructor but learned a valuable lesson in the meantime. And they got to count off my pushups, so I know I did all 75!

I think we should all remember that in the military to get a minimum passing score you have to do 25 pushups. This is in a 2 minute time frame. You are considered to be in good shape at 68-72 in 2 minutes. It should help get things a little more in perspective, considering that they do a large number of pushups everyday.

gojuinstructor, this IS a testosterone question without a doubt or a spitting contest. You choose. :lol:

killer-biscuit, it can be done with good technique if you put the time in. I would think that doing alot of pushups would not really help refine your martial techniques. IMHO.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

I've been working at it and I can do 60+ now

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

Not that many. I can probably do about 40 before collapsing onto my stomach. :P

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

I've never liked seeing pushups used as a measuring tool in martial arts. I do know that my sensei used them in some black belt tests to see how much the person really wanted it. Everything else was gravy. They should know all that stuff, and they did or he wouldn't have tested. It was just up to seeing how much they really truly wanted to be a black belt.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Yeah...couldn't really resist tossing in a couple of my stats. This is definately a spitting contest.

Voluntarily:

Personal Best - 106 in 2 minutes

Hardest - 100 one-arms on each arm

Psychotic - 26 one-arm-three-fingered (thumb, index, middle) push-ups on each arm (I watched Jet Li's Fist of Legend and wondered if I could do the three fingered push-ups he did...I didn't know about the wires at the time)

Most Psychotic - 13 "jack-knife" (one arm, one leg) push ups (I read about it in a mag talking about Russian Spetnaz training and wanted to see if I could do them)

Involuntarily:

For fitness test purposes I averaged 72 in 1'45"

During basic training my flight did 2000 over the course of 1.5 hours

I know these sound like tall-tales, but they're true. Of all the exercises I did during basic training, the only exercise I was ever good at was push-ups (I was the slow guy at the back of the formation, I was the first one to put my feet down doing flutter kicks, etc.). I survived basic because I could do pushups really well. Afterwards...well, let's just say I had lots of free time on my hands and wanted to see how good I could get.

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com

wow!You all sound great at push-ups.My best is 25 maby 30 but I have wrist problems that come and go, so part of the time I'm not suposed to do any push-ups at all :(

God has not given us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of love, a spirit of power, and of self-discipline.

2 Timothy 1:7

A guy came up to me and id he could do 60 pushup, I watched and said to him do it properly he manged to do about 22, I can max out 35 - 52 Proper it depends,

Edited by TigerHeart

There will be a day that you can't cope with your life, I want you to look at the star and remember, I always smile back at you. luV u lots Jen

what military are you talking about?

i was in the army 1990 to 1995 and a 19 yearold male hade to do 52 to pass and 82 to max. as you got older the standard dropped.

are you a chick, i think they might have been that weak.