• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Okinawan Goju-Ryu + Kobudo?

Chado

We train Okinawan Goju-Ryu, Kobudo, and Jujutsu at my dojo, and all are separate classes. There is no kobudo requirement for grading, and, similar to others, there is no rank given for kobudo under shodan. I think this is fairly common from those whom I speak with, but it also depends upon if your sensei's at the instructor's level for kobudo as well. There are several individuals who train only karate-do and don't train weapons, only attempting to master one style, which is completely personal opinion.

As a side note, I feel that lower kyu ranks should probably not be introduced to kobudo. White belt is definitely too soon in my opinion. I feel you should have a good understanding of basic karate technique before ever picking up a weapon. But again, this is only my opinion.

"On Ko Chi Shin"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We study Okinawan Goju-ryu. We also study weapons, IF we choose to do so, as they are not mandatory. You must be a green belt or above to begin.

I personally, only study Goju-ryu and the Rokushaku Bo as far as weapons, as I think for me that is enough. But you can study all of the standard weapons if you wish.

Carl