We do Okinawan Goju Ryu, and Kabudo.

White Belt: One Bo Kata.

Yellow Belt: || || ||

Orange: One Bo, One Tonfa.

Green: Tonfa, and Kama.

Blue: Sai

Brown: Jo, and Bo.

Black: Bo.

Current: Yellow Belt in GojuRyu. White Belt in Kabudo.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We do Okinawan Goju Ryu, and Kabudo.

White Belt: One Bo Kata.

Yellow Belt: || || ||

Orange: One Bo, One Tonfa.

Green: Tonfa, and Kama.

Blue: Sai

Brown: Jo, and Bo.

Black: Bo.

I flipped over to the kata thread and the kata's you do are the same ones we USED to do before we switched our style a bit.

What's the lineage of your dojo? (do you have a chart from chojun-miyagi-sensei to your sensei? Or is it just 'we study okinawan goju?) I'm curious because this is amazingly close to the stuff we used to do...

Interesting information...not that it matters persay, but I like to hear how others do things. I have tunnel vision phobia lol. I try to keep my mind open to as many things as possible.

Thanks,

Chad

lol, i think you have tunnel vision for, anti-tunnel vision. :P

KBear

"lick your wounds, anxious for the next ones"

Interesting information...not that it matters persay, but I like to hear how others do things. I have tunnel vision phobia lol. I try to keep my mind open to as many things as possible.

Thanks,

Chad

lol, i think you have tunnel vision for, anti-tunnel vision. :P

ha ha ha kara =)

And where does your kobudo "chart" take you?

Did your sensei's sensei train with Akamine, Matayoshi, Taira or Sakugawa? How about Chinen Sanda?

Remember Miyazato Ei'ichi Sensei did not study kobudo.

I know he didn't, like I said my sensei originally was doing Don Warner Kobudo...but then he changed it. Unfortunatly I never asked where he got the changes from, I learn my weapons kata's for tournament and for grading only...they are fun but I spend 95% of my time training empty hand at karate. Kendo is wear I do most of my weapons training :P

I will get where he got the weapons changes tomorrow though. I can trace out lineage for goju-ryu karate to miyagi, I'm somewhere around 5th or 6th generation...but weapons...I have no clue at this point...I'll update tomorrow night.

But how about your goju? Is it Don Warner goju?

I teach Chito-ryu and Okinawan Kobudo both together and seperately. I require my students to research Kobudo as it pertains to helping them with their karate training. Many find it helps with timing and conditioning.

Since I also teach and rank my students in kobudo seperately it gives them the option of whether or not they wish to pursue rank in Kobudo. I also start their rank at shodan when they are testing. If you have not reached the shodan rank you are considered "junior" until you do advance.

I have looked into the Warrener/Kim style of kobudo and I find it very insightful. It does not seem to me to be detrimental to my kobudo development or that of my students. If one person finds that they don't like the way another does something and they change it, it seems to me they are creating their own bias. The old way is not always the wrong way. If you keep an open mind it will help you grow and not die off.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

My sensei' didn't really give me an answer that I found satisfactory when I asked him about our origin of our weapons. He said he got rid of the Don Warner moves and brought it inline with 'traditional okinawan styles' like chito-ryu or something he said...but his sensei was telling he didn't like that he taught weapons in goju class...oh well I like the experience w ith a variety of things, for me doing weapons is more of a fun 'extra' thing then anything else...my focus is on my sparring and my core goju kata's.

Chado