• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

your belt is too long

informer

I agree, Shorin Ryuu. When I get a new belt, the first thing I do is take off the label.

I like mine to hang just above mid thigh and broken in. My wife likes hers a bit longer. Why, I don't know :)

I am like your wife, but I don't want it to whack me in the eyes, though LOL.

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Belts with labels? Hmm.. these I have never seen!

I like mine to hang just above mid thigh and broken in.

agreed! :) Mine finally is starting to get broken in.. I was getting tired of a cardboard like reaction/feel to my belt :P

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

It's good to decide what you personally like...then before your next grading, let your sensei know what size belt you need if successful. Or if they have a bunch already to go, go buy one that suits you. They're not expensive.

Personally, mid thigh is best. Course, after taking time off, mine has only like 5 inches hanging. Think it shrunk :lol:

:D

I like mine around mid thigh and not too "broken in". The one I have now is just perfect, but I hated my white belt. It was just too soft, felt like a piece of ribbon :(

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Belt holds the knot when it just is beginning to show some white in the knot area. It's still firm enough otherwisely and not too "floppy", is aesthetically nice, but holds the knot well and does not need too much adjusting to find the knot area and good tightness.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

• 1 month later...

When I first reached black belt level in the style in which I train my instructor tied a belt around my waist. At that time the belt hung down to my knees. Ten years later that belt now hangs down about mid-thigh level, not bad considering I've grown particularly around the middle.

Malanovaus

Okinawan Goju-Ryu

Karate ni sente nashi

The answers are on the floor