• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Being able to do the splits of Karate

CapitalKarate

Is it required to be able to do the splits for traditional okinawan kicks? reason asking is when i stretch to do them, i can only get to able one foot or a lil more off of the ground. I'm able to kick above my waist in all the kicks I've been taught. Also, when I sit on the groun with my legs spread as far as pssible (not that far), I can never sit up correctly, I always end up have an arch in my lower back when I get into this position. Is it necessary to fix, and if so, how can I?

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Is it required to be able to do the splits for traditional okinawan kicks?... Is it necessary to fix...

i seriously doubt it altough i have no experience in okinawan... i have that problem with the sitting aswell (i cant go forward very far without arching my back while sitting and having my legs spread apart) and i do fine in itf taekwondo... which contains quite a few strenuous kicks (even if not as many as more flashier styles see: wtf :P)

Edited by mattyj

I've always had terrible flexibility... never even able to touch my toes.. but I've never had any trouble in Shotokan. This may or may not relate to your situation (I don't know anything about Shorin-Ryu :)).

As far as kicks go, I've been taught that if you can front kick to just under your opponents ribs, thats high enough.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

I can't do the splits. I'm pretty flexible, but I can't seem to go that "extra mile". Fortunately, there really isn't any need to, especially in Okinawan karate. Flexibility is always a bonus. However, you must never make the mistake of making a metric (i.e., the splits) an actual goal. Certainly improvement is always desired, but doing the actual splits isn't going to help you one whit in a fight.

Perhaps what I am trying to say is, there are better things you need to worry about.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Originally in Okinawan Karate, kicks were directed to lower levels of the body like legs, genitals and stomach.

High kicks is a more recent invention that I would never recommend in a street fight. It looks good but is very risky.

High kicks without power are somewhat useless.

In our school the side kick (yoko geri), we consider to be a sandan (3rd Dan) technique because it takes many years to develop enough strength, speed and power to use it effectively.

When I was young, I used to concentrate on high kicks only because it looks good, but now I am a geriatric old fart, I am more concerned with actual practical application.

Although I can do high kicks rather easily, I rarely use it and if I do I may use in against a much lower grade. When sparring with higher ranking dan grades they are always on alert and its risky to attempt it.

My attitude is that my fist is closer to someones head than my foot and my fist moves a lot faster. With my foot on the ground to maintain balance I can get my first to someones head much faster and maintain stability much more effectively.

High kicks are not a requirement of our school in any fashion

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

depends what form of karate i guess. In Kyokushin we are required to be very flexible because we must be able to do mawashi geri to the head. Although most of the time we do low kicks (ie mawashi geri to the thigh) high ones are also effective, and thye have to be in your inventory, for tournaments especially.

I was never able to do the split ,infact my body is not very flexible but it never stopped me doing high kicks .if there is one advantage for not being supple ,it is that you have to do the technique correctly otherwise your body and your joints would not allow you ! but a supple person can do a high kick with incorrect body alignment and never feel he is doing it wrong as his supple joints take the pressure ,

but in time they will for pay it! :wink:

never give up !

Shorin Ryuu is right about it being a bonus.

In traditional Okinawan karate styles the splits are not needed. I can do the splits, but the only thing I have found them to be good for is "showing off." If you can get your kicks up to around mid-chest you will do just fine.

If you are wanting to increase your dynamic flexibility you should by Thomas Kurz' book Stretching Scientifically. This book will help you with getting you maximum kicking height.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

in Shindo Jinen ryu karate, also we were taught doing high kick, we were always told that low kick is more efficient and effective in the real fight, thus split is not required.