• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata or fighting

kataman

If the question is kata or sparring, then I'll choose kata every time. Sparring is a useful tool which I feel should be done every once in a while, but too much of it builds bad habits in my mind.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion generally speaking, a student with good basics and good kata will have good kumite.

I feel its best to have a balanced training programme of basics, kata, kumite, strengthening (weights), road work (running) and plyometric exercises. One also needs to consider development of aerobic and anaerobic capacity.

I feel balance is the key and this is the path I always lead my students down.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

I like very much kata... but I prefer to spar. I like also bunkai... but having a real opponent that does unpredictable moves for me is better.

Anyway my current approach to karate is taking 2 classes a day. The traditionalist class that does kihon, kata, bunkai, drills, grappling and, time to time also sparring; and the sport class that does mostly sparring drills and free sparring. I can tell that I enjoy both classes.

Kata is fighting an invisible opponent, sparring is fighting one that's there right now.
I would say a multiple invisible opponents,In kata you have all the riches of katate all the moves, all the secrets. A lot of self defence moves within the kata.

Fighting: pin point fighing is more in a way like touch football the faster the better There is some karate techniques use in fighting,but not as much as in katas (of curse).

I don't train for belt color I train to survive on the street

Kata. 'nuf said.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

They are both important together with basics ,but I suppose by doing kata you are doing your basics too .Kata is the alphabet of karate ,some thing you can do on your own wherever ! and you can never say that I have done enough of this kata because there is no limit to improving it !

never give up !

They are both important together with basics ,but I suppose by doing kata you are doing your basics too .Kata is the alphabet of karate ,some thing you can do on your own wherever ! and you can never say that I have done enough of this kata because there is no limit to improving it !
:karate: :karate: :karate: Well said,I can never get enough.

I don't train for belt color I train to survive on the street