• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

most important condioning for pro MMA fighter?

Muaythaiboxer

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Just to throw in my 2-cents . . . I run 12 - 15 miles a week, broken up into 3 mile hills and flat 4 - 5 mile runs with intermittant sprints. Personally, I believe running is quite important in my training. Along with a little weight training, the two can provide a fighter with a strong heart to keep energy rich blood flowing to the extremities. I've found this combination to translate into much needed stamina and strength during spar sessions.

me 1. sparing everyday. once a week hard

2. mitt work

3.bag work

4. lifting wieghts

when i run i incorerate it into the workout.

ie i round of bag work hard until i cant breath then start slow jog until i get my breath back then back to the bag.

ie. i run a mile after hard work out.

typical week.

monday. max effort upperbody work in weights (ussally one or two exercises 2 sets each) i am very strong so it is not a weak point so im mainly just trying to maintain. it ussaly takes 20 minutes

1 hour muay tai

1 hour bjj

tuesay max effort legs. btw i use big multi jointed exercises (bench squat deadlift cleans millitary press, board press, zercker squats......)

1 hour muay tai

wed speed reps upper body

1 hour mauy tai

1 hour nhb

thursspeed reps lowerbody

1hour mauy tai

1hour bbj

friday abs work

1hour mauy tai

sat plyometrics, sprints

cross sport training.

wrestling with a wrestler, point fighting with a karate guy, boxing with boxer. i have even tried that capolao *

sunday

a fun sport with my chick....tennis, rollerblade,ski, canue,

• 2 weeks later...

Try different things and listen to your body. Then do what your body responds to.

I like the post about running at high altitude. Ever see the Denver Broncos come from behind in the 4th quarter at Mile High stadium? The other team is gassed. There's a reason the US Olympic Training Center is in Colorado Springs: elevation 6000'. I used to live there and once I got acclimated to the altitude, my workouts and running weren't too bad - you get used to it. Makes any physical activity at sea level easy. Go spar there.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Ross Enamait has a series of manuals for training in boxing, MMA and martial arts.

There best there is in my opinion.

http://www.rossboxing.com/

Anaerobic endurance is what you need above all else. Fighting is anaerobic and many MA miss that

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing