• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

most important condioning for pro MMA fighter?

Muaythaiboxer

actually gumbi- i know more than a few fighters who run A LOT and theyve built up such an endurance that they win fights, among other things, largely because of it. if the other guys gassing and youre not, you have a serious advantage. running is good! (especially up hill for that explosive typa stamina.)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thx alot for the tips

sevenstar do make a liveing doing your fights? and

what kind of fights are they (boxing,kickboxing,nhb) ect

Nah, or at least not yet. I compete in whatever. so far, I've done thai, judo and bjj. I've got an mma bout coming up in april, and we're talking about doing some boxing too.

I experienced this when I used to play hockey competitively- I used to run for 5 miles every morning or at least every other morning for about a year and it practically did nothing for my endurance on the ice.

I've had opposite effects. I'd wager that most boxers or thai boxers would say the same.

I guess Im just some kind of freak =(

maybe. But even still, Gumby was able to stretch endlessly... That would be awesome for bjj!

* I wonder if anyone even remember Gumby?

maybe. But even still, Gumby was able to stretch endlessly... That would be awesome for bjj!

My flexibility certainly helps when I train, thats for sure.

I think the most important flexibility for BJJ is your back/spine/hamstrings (they all kinda go together). Im fortunate to be able to be stacked and remain comfortable. It also helps me escape alot of guillotines as well.

As far as endurance is concerned, its one of the things Im known for, and I do no running at all.

My flexibility certainly helps when I train, thats for sure.

I think the most important flexibility for BJJ is your back/spine/hamstrings (they all kinda go together). Im fortunate to be able to be stacked and remain comfortable. It also helps me escape alot of guillotines as well.

As far as endurance is concerned, its one of the things Im known for, and I do no running at all.

our bjj and judo classes do no running either. many of the ones who cross train in thai gas during sparring though... If you crosstrain, have you noticed that as well?

With regards to running, I've read that jogging long distances with sprints at intervals and up and down as many hills as possible was the best way for it to help you.

Of course to me that just sounds like an extreme way to knacker yourself out, but I guess that's the point :)

"...or maybe you are carrying a large vicious dog in your pocket." -Scottnshelly

our bjj and judo classes do no running either. many of the ones who cross train in thai gas during sparring though... If you crosstrain, have you noticed that as well?

Actually no I havent- I've done minimal cross training with some Muay Thai and Boxing (minimal as in less than 10 classes). They arent official classes, but rather my fellow BJJ friends teaching it to me since they've had experience in it. I'd admit the gas is different, but I cant say I've even come close to gassing while practicing, and I do it immediately after training back to back BJJ classes on Saturday.

another question what are your takes on this chart of what matters in a fight? some people say i place way to much on technique.

technique 50%

strenth 25%

how bad you want it 25%

Fist visible Strike invisible