• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

why this?

Souldburned

If as a teacher it takes you 10 years to get your adult or teen-aged students to black belt, then you should quit teaching cause you are a s.h.i.t.t.y instructor.

Heck I can start University and become a Dentist in less than 10 years! or Join the air force and fly F-16 or CF-18 fighter jets in less than 10 years!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're training to be a dentist, or a pilot, or whatever, you're working at least 5 days a week, clocking up about 30 hours. Again, compare this to training 2 hours, 3 nights a week (average karateka here...). You're getting about 1\5 the time to train. It takes at least 5 years to become a surgeon\lawyer\civil engineer\pilot. Multiply by 5 equals 25 years. So suddenly ten years of training 3 nights a week doesn't seem so long to be classed as 'very good' at what you do.

If it takes someone 10 years to reach your standard (a decent benchmark for most teachers) considering you've taken 10 years yourself to get there, that's a reasonable training time. Again, factor in the fact that if you teach, you're probably commited and will train a lot. Someone training two nights a week at your class will take longer than you to reach the same standard.

I think that it all depends (or at least should depend) on your ability, not a timeline. Every individual is different and learns at a different pace. For an instructor to offer/guarantee a BB in (x) amount of years/months is absurd and should raise a flag in your head. Just because it takes a student 10 years to attain a BB, doesn't make the instructor bad, it says something about the student. Typically, in my own humble experience, I've found that your sensei knows whether or not you'll pass your test before you even take it based on watching you day in and day out in class. The test is normally just a formality....(unless you have to pay testing fees {luckly I don't}, there may be an alterior motive $$$) People learn at different speeds and a good instructor knows this.

"Pain is weakness leaving the body".....my Makiwara tells me so.

I aggree with the above,What you need to keep in mine my Portugal friend is that black belt is not the end of the road ,but the begining of some thing new and more deeper. You are young and have the time in the worl use it good i know you can. :karate: :karate: :karate:

I don't train for belt color I train to survive on the street

In our school we have a rule of thumb system for grading but in the end its the skill of the applicant that matters.

To 1st Dan 3 years

2nd is 3 years after 1st Dan

3rd Dan is 4 years after 2nd Dan

4th Dan is 4 years after 3rd Dan

5th Dan is 4 years after 4th Dan

and so on.

15 years to 1st Dan is something I have never heard of. I dont even know of a school in Japan that does that, but I could be wrong.

As a general rule most Japanese schools are 3-4 years to get to Shodan but it depends on the quality of training and the commitment of the students.

P.S. Getting coloured belts is not what Karate is about. Grades tell you nothing in this day and age.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

15 years is a good time to aquire a black belt...a black belt shouldn't be a thing you get, it should be the concept of the meaning behind it. A belt is to hold your pants up. At our dojo it normally takes 8-9 years..but no worries, black belts will come with time, and time only.

Some people spend their whole lives and never master one single art completely. Obviously the belt is nothing in this case. After fifteen years the last thing you should be worrying about is a black belt.

What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others. - Confucius

I aggree with the above,What you need to keep in mine my Portugal friend is that black belt is not the end of the road ,but the begining of some thing new and more deeper. You are young and have the time in the worl use it good i know you can. :karate: :karate: :karate:

thank you kataman =)

And informer please dont say that of my sensei, he is not bad, far far away from that..maybe you should think a bit before saying that again, you don´t know what our sensei do for us in his classes.

• 2 months later...

......im in canada on my 8th year of goju and do not have my black. dont base one club on a whole nation.

anyways, shodan is just the start of ones path.

"Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battle field."