• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

why this?

Souldburned

why this? a person that I know , ( the son of the sensei ) has been training for about 10 years now ( I guess) and is still a red belt. Here in portugal ( or at least in my school ) it takes a long very long time to reach the black belt ( about 15 years ). I mean, we need to know everything, and it is hard, very hard.

While in other countrys like canada ( thank you kataman ) it takes only about 4 years to get to the black belt.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why this? a person that I know , ( the son of the sensei ) has been training for about 10 years now ( I guess) and is still a red belt. Here in portugal ( or at least in my school ) it takes a long very long time to reach the black belt ( about 15 years ). I mean, we need to know everything, and it is hard, very hard.

While in other countrys like canada ( thank you kataman ) it takes only about 4 years to get to the black belt.

Remember that the belt does not mean anything.

Out there you haven't got a belt. You may meet an aggressor, a killer, and he usually does not wear a belt.

Belt....belt and belt........puah!!! there is nothing worst that this kind of classification.

Your grade does not depend from your belt. Ask yourself if you can really apply the tecniques you learn in the real life, ask yourself what is the utility of the martial arts:

1) wearing a belt this year and one better the next one

2) become a fighter, really able to do even if white belt

:( I hope you don't feel "assailed" with my words, I'd like you can focus on them and tell me what you think about

Ciao, by Gabriele

Smile - Fight - No fear for death - respect the 4 laws of Ki - that's all I think...

Karate or any other MA isn´t is wearing a belt, of course, you are right, any person who would attack us on the streets isnt is wearing a belt.

Thats not my question. My question and all topic was about why here it take so much time to ear the balck belt.

For much concerned i am with my safety in the streets I want to advance in belts and eventually get to the black belt.

I entered karate not because of self defence..but because I like it, It of course is good for prottection, but that is not the main goal of karate, not for me.

I see what your saytng as well,If your a red belt after 15 years,you more than have tha ability to teach,but some wont have any of it until your a 1 or 2 dan at least.So while belts are not important ,they mean a lot to people looking to teach and people who are in for tha traditionalism.

ISAIAH 53:5

^^^ I totally agree,It really tears down tha integrity of MA's when teachers pass whole classes onto a BB regardless of how well their doing.I don't think there should be a set time,some people are ready after a year or two,where as some people may need 4 or 5,I think it should always fall on tha shoulders of tha practicioner.

ISAIAH 53:5

So you are saying either portugal or canada school are bad? If i understanded it wrong, please sorry.

In my school there are really good persons at that MA ( karate shotokan )

i dont understand why we do need of so much time to get a BB.

Hi soulburned, neither school is bad, as a black belt has no internationally recognised meaning. Anyone can call themselves a blackbelt, and indeed buy a 'black belt' and wear it. There are so many different 'types' of karate, and each type has its own ideas as to what a black belt should require. Within each type of karate, each individual instructor has their own requirements to pass someone.

If you look around you will soon see that it is not a national divide, but an individual one. Within portugal you will find schools offering black belts after a huge variety of time, just as in every other country. A school near me has a very strict instructer who wouldn't even consider awarding a black belt until many, many years of study were undertaken. My own school is very liberal, and a good student could conceivably leave after 5 years with a black belt.

Every instructor has their own ideas of what should be required, and will award accordingly. A particular instructor may only grade those whose kata are of an exceptional standard. An old tournament fighting instructor may only grade those who can fight well, or indeed only those who can come close to his own standard. So you see, different things are prized by different instructors.

On a more basic level, measuring time in years is quite difficult. A student may study every single night in class, and every morning by themselves. They may achieve 30 hours of training a week. A father\mother with a full time job may only achieve two hours a week of training.

What does a black belt award? Does it reward personal acheivement, say learning to fight well despite personal difficulties, or does it reward the muscular, athletic fighter who is 'naturally' built to do karate? Different instructors have different views.

I hope that provides some ideas for you to think about...