• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How long till solid?

Sinar89

ok...i work out, well i try for everyday. i do arms upper body one day, lower the next. abs everday and cardio everyday. my routine for upper body is

benching- 70 lbs 15 wide grip, 15 close, 15 wide, 15 close

curling- back aginst the wall. both arms curling 40 20 times, then 10 more

pull down (sit on my bench, grab the double handle and pull it down....its part of the bench) 3 reps of 20 or more

then someitmes little misc. things

lower body

squats and leg lifts mainly. i don't work them to hard cause i do cardio every day and that works my legs.

cardio i was doing 30 mins on the bike but now i switched to running (got a tred mill.....woot) and i haven't exactly picked a routine for running yet....what a good one for a beginer runner for loosing weight?

anyways, i was wanting to know an estimate for how long until i get solid. mianly no gut. 'm 5'8 1/2" and 165lbs. i'm kinda fit but i do have a gut, not a huge one though. i know you can't give me exact cause 1) you don't know what i look like 2) don't know body fat composition 3) everyone is different but can anyone give me an estimate? 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, one year? (year's a little extreme but you get the idea :wink: )

also, i'm doing this for Karate so if anyone wants to mkae any changes from my routine that will make me more solid (i have enough size, i just want to get solid and ripped) then it will be appreciated. thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I like to break my strength training into 3 parts; pushing (mon.), pulling (wed.) and legs (fri.)... abs on all 3 days. Muscle endurance on tues. and thurs... cardio every day with weekends as downtime (yeah, it's a sin).

Pushing involves chest; straight and wide bench press though I haven't done incline or decline in a while... it's a good idea. 3 sets of 10 reps so that you're really grinding teeth on that 10th one, add 10 lbs. for the 3rd set. Make sure you rest adequately inbetween sets. Days when I have a lot of steam to blow off I like to up it so that I'm struggling on the 6th or 7th rep... make sure to give yourself some extra rest though.

Triceps. 3 sets of 10 just like chest but once I'm done with my sets I'll drop 5 pounds and rep until I can't anymore, drop 5 more, rep until I can't, and continue until I do 20 reps without dropping weight. *THIS WILL BURN YOU!* (but the results are incredible)

Shoulders. Dumbell shrugs: 3 sets of 20 (don't let your shoulders fall too hard, ease them down... otherwise you're cheating) Military Press: 3 sets of 10.

Pulling.

Back. Bent Row, 3 sets of 10. Make sure you're bent forward far enough (I'm still confused about what "enough" means... I usually use a stationary machine anyway) and that you're primarily using your back and not your biceps. Seated Row, 3 sets of 10. Pulldowns: 3 sets of 10, same technique as with triceps (decreasing til you can do 20 reps).

Biceps. 3 sets of 10, same technique as triceps and pulldowns. Keeping your back against the wall is good. Throwing the weight with your hips is bad. Keep that up.

Legs.

For my legs I just work on squats and shins, 3 sets of 10 and then a high-intensity bike or stairmaster routine.

For abs I do 4 sets of 25 curls so that I can barely pick myself up off the floor after the 100th.

Endurance involves heavy bag hitting and speed training. Jump rope, leg raises, jogging in place, that sort of thing.

I have no aerobic routine, I just do whatever I feel like doing that day. Mostly biking and running. Sometimes swimming.

I dunno, I hope this is helpful to you in some way. As a final note I just sort of feel like mentioning that it's good to push yourself and bend your limits until your heart pumps gasoline and you're breathe fire but it's stupid to take on more than you're ready for. You'll be lifting the world one day but for the next month you won't be lifting anything heavier than a fork. Patience is key along with self-control, knowing your limits and knowing when there's room for improvement. Knowing when to push yourself and knowing when you've gone too far. Be smart, don't hurt yourself.

"It's amazing what you can get away with when people think that's the only thing you can do." -- Henry Rollins

Some people won't get solid and ripped because of genetics. Let's face it, Chris Farley was never going to look like Mark Wahlberg. Sounds like you're doing a lot of lifting though. The only way to makr yourself ripped is to burn off fat and build lean muscle. So lower fat content, slightly lower carbs (no carbs after 5), and up the protein a little. You don't need supplements either, even though a lot of people use them. Just have patience, as long as you keep working, it'll come.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

some things I noticed:

1. your lifting lacks any real back exercises.

2. it also lacks shoulder exercises.

3. you're doing a lot of high rep work - endurance work. I'm not sure that's the best way to achieve what you are looking for.

4. there is no mention of your diet. How you eat is the main factor in how "solid" you will become in a certain amount of time.

5. how much cardio are you doing? you didn't state a time frame.