• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Returning Home

This post was originally published as an article in a dedicated KarateForums.com Articles section, which is no longer online. After the section was closed, this article was most to the most appropriate forum in our community.

It’s a weird feeling returning to the dojang where I started. I was so involved before leaving, I knew most all the students (by face at least, if not by name). All sorts of silly thoughts went through my head. Will I know anyone there? Will I be an outsider now that’s I’ve been gone? Will I be looked down on because I have fallen behind in my training?

For those who haven’t seen any of my history, here’s a condensed version. I received my first degree from the Kuk Sool Won dojang in Clear Lake (a suburb of Houston), under the direction of Master Barry Harmon (the highest ranking non-oriental KSW Master in the world). The best way I can describe the focus of his teaching is he emphasizes the “soft” side of the KSW system. Shortly after promotion, I had a professional opportunity in Connecticut and left for what I thought was for good.

Being that there are no KSW schools in CT, I had to drive just across the border to New York, in order to continue in Kuk Sool Won. Now, the only schools close enough for me to visit even on a weekly basis were under the direction of Master Marlin Sims. The best way I can describe his focus on teaching is that it’s the exact opposite of Master Harmon. Master Sims’ training focuses on the hard side of KSW. He is the most physically impressive martial artist I have known and trains himself and his students in a manner that reflects this. I count myself a very lucky individual to have had the opportunity to study under two of the most talented Masters in KSW.

However, on the downside, Master Sims moved South not long after my move and we were only able to benefit from his teaching when he came up a few times a year for weekend seminars. Additionally, black belt testing can only be conducted in the presence of a Master and bb promotions are done by the Grandmaster personally. Therefore, you either have to travel to Houston for the quarterly testing or wait to test the one time a year the Grandmaster comes around for his seminars. This immediately put me nine months behind the next time I was due to test for second degree.

Just this past Summer, I had the opportunity to move back to Houston. However, because I was so busy with moving arrangements, I was not able to be ready to begin my testing for third degree before leaving CT (testing was every Summer). Then I came home to Houston, but situating the family, the new job and everything else kept me from getting back to class in time to start testing in October. Now, the guys I was promoted to first degree with have been promoted to third and I have not even started testing, yet. I don’t find myself jealous of them, but more embarrassed to have fallen so far behind.

Well, I finally got the time and the courage to go into class. What will happen here? All those questions are turning my stomach and I’m wondering if this is even going to work. Well, needless to say, I AM STUPID!!! Master Harmon is one of the most likable people you will ever meet. He is encouraging and supportive. He enthusiastically welcomed me back and he reminded me of why I was so depressed about leaving in the first place. He told me how we never really fall behind, unless we stop training. Our training will ebb and flow and we need to be aware of this. I may not have promoted with my former classmates, but they are oblivious to that. Other than an extra bow to them I need to make, there is no difference between us, from either point of view. We reminisced about our promotion together and they brought me up to date with where everyone was. The biggest change I found was the short, young teenager who was an up and coming protégé of Master Harmon was now a towering man. Oh well, age catches us all.

Where I had one (at best) person at my level to train with in N.Y., I now have twenty. Where it was a quiet and serious workout, I’ve now returned to the loud and enthusiastic type. I’ve returned to the climate that addicted me to KSW in the first place and I just can’t wait for each class to start. At the end of my first class back, I had to look at the clock to believe it was over. It had passed much too fast, as have all the subsequent classes thereafter. Finally, I have the renewed perspective that the only way I will fail, in my eyes or anyone else’s, is if I ever stop training at all.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wow! Nice article. It almost made me cry. If I had the chance to return to my old dojang (TSD) where I started, it would be as welcoming as that. I know, because I train there when I visit NJ, and my TSD instructor is always welcoming me back, and bugs me to train even when I don't feel like it.

Laurie F

Very good article about the social side of training...

Can you tell me something about your art? Is it sriking or grappling? where does it come from?

• 3 weeks later...

I can relate to your experience. I've moved away & return every six months to train with my Sifu & training brothers/sisters. I share in your apprehension before participating in class. I'm so used to training by myself. It's always a great experience to "come home".

I commend your desire to return to the workouts. Many people after that much moving and lay off just end up quitting. Knowing where you are in your training is more important than what everyone else thinks.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome. It is nice to hear someone of your rank look forward to classes and be dissappointed when class is over. Sometimes in my passing, I see black belts become discouraged in training and actually look bored at times. Seems they feel their technique is perfect.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.