• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Turning your back doing a technique

unless you can do it well and recover don't do it all, practice makes perfect, i have had some bad experiences using spin kicks so i just abandonned them and by doing so, i never exposed my back to my opponent

"When we go to the ground,you are in my world, the ground is the ocean, I am the shark,

and most people don't even know how to swim"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As policy, I never turn my back on an opponent - not even momentarily as part of a technique. (of course with multiple attackers, there's not necessarily a choice).

I wouldn't dissuade someone from trying it in sparring though - after all sparring is a "safe" environment, and a good place to try things out and see if you can get away with them. If you think you're good, you might like to challenge your sparring partner - tell them you're going to try a couple of spin kicks during the session and they should try and grab your back while you're doing them...

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

I think having your back turned in some cases especially Judo throws (ei Tai Otoshi) does give you a great advantage in leverage. If you get is right, then it will pay off, if you dont, then you might be dead. I dont like my choices. :lol:

in judo alot if not most throws are done with your back to the opponent. this is a valid point but not if your opponent has any sparring knowledge. i dont think you could do a good judo throw if your opponent is being aggressive i.e punching/kicking.

but hay thats a completly different topic.

I think having your back turned in some cases especially Judo throws (ei Tai Otoshi) does give you a great advantage in leverage. If you get is right, then it will pay off, if you dont, then you might be dead. I dont like my choices. :lol:
Somehow in my mind I've never thought of this as turning my back on the opponent... strange mind. But, at the distance you do a turn in, they should be too close to be able to hit you anyway, and it should be too quick for them to do anything else.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

• 1 month later...
Never eer show ur back to the opponent, especially in inverted moves like capoeira. If u don't know where or what the opponent is doing, one hit and u can have a nasty fall.

No ginga, no capoeira

No berimbau, no capoeira

No roda, no capoeira

It seems to boil down to ...

only turn your back on an opponent while doing a technique if they're inexperienced and slow.

But surely if they are inexperienced and slow, you can deal with them more efficiently using more conventional techniques anyway....

This must be a standard lesson in karate. The problem with spining techniques is that while many people can excute them with a good degree of competence, they still remain ignorant of their correct application.

i learned the hard way , i did a spinning crescent kick onece and got nailed in the back with a side-kick ,that was a bad enough experience for me to give up spinning kicks

and i guess theres a situation for everything though

"When we go to the ground,you are in my world, the ground is the ocean, I am the shark,

and most people don't even know how to swim"