Turning your back doing a technique

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, but that sets the "decent" martial artist apart from the "unexperienced" one. To know when to execute a turn kick takes precise timing and "speed". When performed with expertise, any jump spin kick or turn back kick ... it is only a mere second or two that is sacrificed and depending on where the opponent is ... he very well could be just setting up his own line of defense at this time.

When landing a jump kick technique you should be facing the front if landed properly.

For the beginner ... I do not suggest performing any technique which will leave you vulnerable ... with practice ... turning one's back to kick is effortless, kinda like having eyes in the back of your head :karate: you must know your limitations and those of your opponent.

ITF/TKD Black Belt (1st dan)/Fitness Kickboxing Instructor

(KarateForums Sensei)

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-01-28 04:31 ]

True kickchick, you are right that you need to be experienced. Adonnis, one quick tip to do a spinning kick, you might want to look at their eyes and see if they open a little more, that means that they are going to move forward and attack (or fake, so be careful). So right when you see their eyes open a little more than usual, then thats when you should turn and execute your kick. Don't take this as something you should do, take it as a theory from someone. Ask your instructor what would be the best way to execute a spinning kick.

"Which one is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi

::edit:: Edited by Bon

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Unfortunately, if you are a seasoned veteran of WTF tkd tournaments, you will know that it is illegal to kick someone in the back so many practitioners develop this false sense of security from repeatedly performing turn kick-spinning back kick combinations. I guess that's why you hafta distinguish from tournament tkd and tkd used for self-defense. In real life obviously it would be much more practical to kick someone rather than spin first and then kick even if it means sacrificing a bit of power and flash. Of course, if you guys weren't talking about tkd sparring anyways, then ignore what I just said, :angel:

'Conviction is a luxury for those on the sidelines'

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'

I don't like exposing my backside for too long a period of time either, especially during a spinning hook kick or a spinning backfist :wink:

Best regards,

Jack Makinson

Yea no kidding... if your that slow then u deserved to be slapped around. TKD is all about footwork and stamia.. Spinning kicks are usually the most powerful... at least in my own experiences...

Do unto others, as they done to you.

• 4 weeks later...