• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

DVD/Video Training outside of class

dusenbutt

I was wondering your opinions of Karate DVDs for help in my at home practice. Just to augment what I learn in class and keep it fresh since I only have class once a week.

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them."

-Jack Handey

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I (and many people here) feel that DVD/video training is only useful in terms of supplementing your instruction and other learning. You can learn a lot from instructional videos, more so if you already have a pretty good grasp of many or at least certain concepts. However, the danger lies in beginners who lack critical thinking skills (in general or in regards to their martial arts) who are unable to gain positive learning from the videos.

I for one enjoy watching videos and documentaries of my system as well as other styles and fighting methods. I have numerous "instructional" videos of varying things that I find entertaining and useful in applying to my art (For example, I recently bought some video tapes of Taika Seiyu Oyata). But if you really don't know what you're doing (I'm using "you" in a general sense, not talking about you), then there is a limit to what you can gain. Again, critical evaluative skills can increase your benefits even if you are a beginner. I've used many videos throughout my relatively short martial arts career to enhance my understanding of various things. Usually this involves the use of a partner. *winks at Skeptic2004*

All that being said, there are many videos out there with many degrees of usefulness.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

I agree with SR. Video may complement your training, they give you extra information on a lot of thing. History, general training, techniques, sparring combos etc. They should never substitute dojo training but I think in your situation they are a positive thing.

Extra advice... I think you shuold consider to join a dojo that does at least 2 classes a week.

Keeping a journal is also handy. After every class, as soon as you get home write down what you learned in class.

I just started doing this, this week and it helps a lot. While writing it, it really makes you think and visualize what it is you are doing. Now I'll start building a book that I can always go back and read to practice anything we've previously learned.

SR is right on the money. And italian guy is right about finding a dojo that has class at least two days a week.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

If the means of commuication is good, it may well be worthwhile.

I was in Japan from 82-84 and got permission to audio tape the lessons.

I follow along to the commands even today. The only part I cant do at home is the sparring.

But the exercises, basics and kata I can definately follow along. It ensures I get good training even alone

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

SR is right on the money. And italian guy is right about finding a dojo that has class at least two days a week.

I would find a new Dojo, but my Sensei is a good man. I trust him, I've tought his kids in sunday school, and he teaches Goju Ryu for the love of it (i.e. the class is free).

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them."

-Jack Handey

I was gonna say,it'd be nice to train for more than once a week.......but you can't replace quality instruction,and if your happy there have at it.I would say get a tape/DVD to help supplement your training.and most instructionals have workouts as well,so that'll help ya with your workouts as well,while your not in tha dojo.

ISAIAH 53:5