• Equal mixture of both

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the ring, i'm usually defensive. If I knock my oppenent back a few steps, i'll go for the rare side/roundhouse kick, or hit them in the back of the head, OR on their back. In a real fight, i'd probably be defensive too, until my first counter, then i'd lay the smackdown on them :brow:

Current: Yellow Belt in GojuRyu. White Belt in Kabudo.

• 4 weeks later...

In the past, I've tended toward more aggresive, but that didn't work very well. Now I'm experimenting with a little more deception, but not really depending on counters. Sparring higher belts, I tend to get my head handed to me if I'm not really careful. Up to my own level, people tend to back way off because I have a height advantage. I'm working on giving them the perception that I'm farther away than I am, if that makes sense, and throwing in more feints, or just throwing unexpected techniques.

In my school, the legs are the only non-target. Anything else is fair game, and the rule is not to hit harder than you want to be hit.

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

I tend to be agressive, and favour in-close techniques. So far it has proven quite effective especially against taller and/or heavier opponents.

I'm told by previous opponents that I am quite good at psyching them out, but sometimes it can definitely feel the other way around.. :)

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I find that I tend to be a little bit of both -- depending upon who my opponent is. If I have someone who just wants to dance around and do nothing, I'll start something up. If they take the initiative, okay, I'll counter and strike back when I can, and initiate some moves myself. I find that I enjoy sparring more with someone who is the latter. People who just dance around and don't want to commit to anything drive me nuts! :brow:

I'm with Cathal -- I love in-close fighting too. Especially the tall guys -- go for the body!!

I change my fighting style depending on my opponents'. If they are Tae Kwan Do, for example, I will play defensive until I learn what their favorite kicks are, then after a round or two go offensive with my own kicks and hand strikes. If they are Kenpo, I know they do not use many kicks, and will go on the offensive with kicking to scare them until I can either land one or use my hands.

The mark of a truly experienced and good fighter is one that can shift without difficulty and spontanesouly between defense and offense.

That almost sounds like a good quote or something, don't you think?

Peace;

Parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

Changing a fighting style in accordance with the opponent's training is one thing...adapting your style to their fighting personality, now that's another thing altogether.

Of course, you'd have to fight them at least once.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but just to comment on the thread options, the classifications have been around for awhile, however, deceptive and counter are not considered the same thing. also, there is a fourth category that some use - elusive.

tricky

counter

aggressive

elusive

I usually do whatever my opponent doesn't do...

For instance, if he's agressive, I'll start off defensive until I can counter his attacks, and then I'll keep attacking him once I have the advantage.

If my opponent is defensive, waiting for me to strike, I'll attack a bit, mainly just to see him try and counter...in a way I'll try to bait him to counter, and then re-counter, and keep attacking once I have the advantage.

Like a midget at a urinal, I'm always on my toes

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but just to comment on the thread options, the classifications have been around for awhile, however, deceptive and counter are not considered the same thing. also, there is a fourth category that some use - elusive.

tricky

counter

aggressive

elusive

Yes deceptive and counter is not exactly the same thing but usually both are part of a counter-attack mindset. While tricky can apply both to attacker and to counter fighers. The original scope of the thread was about personality that become somehow strategy... probably I should not have included the option equal mixture of both, because everyone is an equal mixture of both, I'm interested in what type of mindset (personality) is prevalent.