• Equal mixture of both

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I was either tonight. I sparred a buddy of mine for the first time (she teaches at a sister school), and nothing worked LOL. Of course she has almost 30 years experience over me LOL. It was a great workout, and she gave me lots of tips, though. Thanks Heidi :)

The nice thing about sparring is that you never actually lose. If you do better then your sparring partner you have the confirmation that your technique works, if you do worse you can learn from your mistakes. At the end is not much of a fight against somebody, it is a fight against your weaknesses.

I totally agree with you. If we were actually "ring sparring," she would have hammered me, but she is a very nice and helpful friend/teacher.

Laurie F

I don't think I was either tonight. I sparred a buddy of mine for the first time (she teaches at a sister school), and nothing worked LOL. Of course she has almost 30 years experience over me LOL. It was a great workout, and she gave me lots of tips, though. Thanks Heidi :)

Am I that old??? UGH!!!

Anyway...a block is strike and a strike is a block

...every action has an opposite and equal reaction

...the best defense is a good offense

...can you find the beginning of a circle?

A little aggression doesn't hurt either! :brow:

8)

BTW....your welcome Laurie. We have to do that more often!

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I'm not an aggressive person by nature, and that shows when I fight. Weather I'm sparring with padding and tons of unnecessary rules in a tournament or sparring at my dojo where the rule is "don't hit harder than you're willing to be hit" I tend to be a defensive fighter. I'm small (5-7, 118 lbs-I need to gain weight) compared to the people I train with, so I don't just charge in. I tend to leave obvious openings when I try to be to aggressive so I fight best when I counter.

"To win a fight without fighting, that is the true goal of a martial artist."

-Grandmaster Nick Cerio

Speaking of aggresive, I had fun at my last tournie. I was fighting this dude, and I swept him and the judges called yame and then he got up and started trying to plow in my stomach (lucky for that ab-doer eh?) and I just stood there and took it, the judges didn't even penalize him, I thought it was b/s but it was all good.

The nice thing about sparring is that you never actually lose. If you do better then your sparring partner you have the confirmation that your technique works, if you do worse you can learn from your mistakes. At the end is not much of a fight against somebody, it is a fight against your weaknesses.

Great point italian_guy! :)

I'm generally a defensive/counter-fighter, although I've been working on becoming a bit more agressive lately. I tend to get my butt whupped, though, when I do that. Maybe I should just stick to being a defensive fighter after all...

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

i tend to be a charger in point or full contact sparring i feel it works the best for me and i usually dont have a problem beating overly defenceive fighters. i do have a slight problem beatin good elusive fighters though there so tricky!

are you guys familar with the four fighter princepal?

Fist visible Strike invisible

Am I that old??? UGH!!!

Anyway...a block is strike and a strike is a block

...every action has an opposite and equal reaction

...the best defense is a good offense

...can you find the beginning of a circle?

A little aggression doesn't hurt either! :brow:

8)

BTW....your welcome Laurie. We have to do that more often!

Good quotes, Heidi :) I was talking to Brian, and we WILL make it to your school even if we have to miss class here once in a while. We both agreed on it :)

Laurie F

I need some help... I have a tournament coming up in march. It is my first one and i am competeing in sparring. I've only sparred twice, both were black belts (i'm yellow, i'll be orange when i compete). Is there any tips for sparring that you can offer me? I'm not too sure on the rules. any advice would be great.

Strength is no match for skill