• advertisement_alt

Your tatami/ring Personality

Are you a...  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a...

• Aggressive/lead fighter
    • Deceptive/counter fighter
    • Equal mixture of both

I generally attack first. I am a smaller guy, and if a bigger guy gets bearing down on me it's hard for me to get out without him getting a point. I do like to anticipate attacks and catch opponents with a kick or backfist as they're attacking me. I'd say I am the aggressive one overall, though.

"Please do not drop your partner like a sack of potatoes. If anything, throw them hard with control." - my instructor

"Your karate is still useless." - my brother as he picks himself up off the floor

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mostly a counter-striker by personality. I have to remind myself to be aggressive occasionally in sparring otherwise I will only block and counter.

Res firma, mitescere nescit

I am a counter fighter (which I'm good at), BUT I find myself being aggressive lately (which I kind of stink at). I train with the BB's in our school now, and I don't wanna seem like a wimp, so I go at them even if I get my butt whooped (I don't back down or give up .... I'm a sucker for punishment, I guess) LOL. So I would say, it's a mixer of both as of right now.

Laurie F

By nature, I'm not a very aggressive individual, and it bleeds over into my fighting. Standing up, I'm a pretty decent defensive fighter, working off the counter and exploiting mistakes. Watching me fight is boring if the other guy doesn't make a move, because I won't make one until he does (*sigh* I know, I should work on being more aggressive and creating opportunities).

Not being aggressive also bleeds over into my ground work. I don't have a lot of training in ground fighting, but I've managed to beat everyone I've ever fought on the ground in the last 2 years (except Shorin Ryuu) by not being aggressive (*knocks on wood*). I can't really be an aggressive ground fighter since I don't have a lot of training on the ground. I've been relying on translating bunkai from kata and modifying it to what I would do on the floor. Works so far...(*knocks on wood again*)

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com

I'm a very defensive fighter and prefer my opponent be aggressive and push the attack.

However, if I see an obvious opening that he's not protecting (IE: hands held high in typical boxer style to protect his face) I will attack. By by nature and training, I will normally let the other person be the aggressor.

yeah im the same in the ring i like to be the one getting chased but when i see a good opening i like to attack with a good combo until the ref breakes it up or i feel the need 2 step back.

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

I don't think I was either tonight. I sparred a buddy of mine for the first time (she teaches at a sister school), and nothing worked LOL. Of course she has almost 30 years experience over me LOL. It was a great workout, and she gave me lots of tips, though. Thanks Heidi :)

Laurie F

I don't think I was either tonight. I sparred a buddy of mine for the first time (she teaches at a sister school), and nothing worked LOL. Of course she has almost 30 years experience over me LOL. It was a great workout, and she gave me lots of tips, though. Thanks Heidi :)

The nice thing about sparring is that you never actually lose. If you do better then your sparring partner you have the confirmation that your technique works, if you do worse you can learn from your mistakes. At the end is not much of a fight against somebody, it is a fight against your weaknesses.