• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fighting Fan's or Sai's

Lady Kitana

hi everyone :karate:

If I had the chance to learn how to fight with weapons , which one is the best one to start with the fan or sai's. They both look really cool . thanks ! :)

your hands and feet are all the protection you need, you win some you loose some but you live to fight another day !!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I guess it would depend on what type of fighting you mean.

If you are talking about tournament or inter-martial art fighting matches, the sai would be better, but if you are talking about street self-defense, then neither.

If you pulled a fan on a mugger, they would laugh while raping and beating you. If you pulled sais on an attacker, you are going to jail for carrying an illegal weapon. Even if sai are legal in your state, the police are not going to believe that you pulled them in self-defense. They (and I) would believe that someone walking around with sais tucked in their belt are looking for a fight.

pressureguy

]===[------------------------>

http://www.backyardmartialarts.org

]===[------------------------>

actually, i'd imagine that an abstract weapon like the fans would fare better in a tournament than the sai, if for no other reason that it's a good change of pace for the judges, and i assume less of them would be familiar with the techniques, thus giving you some room for error.

at any rate, i personally would take the fans, merely because if, later on in life, for whatever reason you decide that you want nothing more than to learn the fans, you're gonna' have a hell of a harder time finding someone to teach you fans than you will sai.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

I would go with fans, as they are rare, and being a lady? (hey, I've been on the net since speed was measured in baud, I question everyting!) It would be somewhat applicable in a street situation, realizing of course it has its limits. The Sai, while a wonderful weapon for their design, are in today's world a historical item and useful for tournaments, but not really for self defense.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!