• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i do not think it is a effective street style. TKD is only for show thats all

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

There are now many of us TKD KF veterans (I am proud to be at least that...) that take it as read that no style is better than any other. The practitioners and teachers of a style may be real good or real bad, but in the end any martial style is what you make of it (in and out of the dojo and on the street!), and the style is only as good as the fighter within.

I do hope that Mr. Shotokan_Karate0 didn't mean to diss TKD (he is in the wrong forum for that!) although I might be wrong (not the first time I might add!!) I am sure that it was simply an off the cuff remark.

When in "doubt" use a dictionary! :)

Everyone is entitled to their opinions Shotokan, but to simply say that tae kwon do is "just for show" is a very ill-informed remark. :kaioken: Please, at least attempt to rationalize such remarks. And I PM'ed you about "dought," but too late, it has already been used against you! :D Not without provocation though, I must say.

Might as well take my advice--I don't use it anymore.

Let's keep the tone light people, or Patrick or one of the other moderators may pull the plug. :wink:

I would say it comes down to personal training and commitment. TKD has some obvious shortcomings, BUT(and there is always a but), so does any other art, if the practitioners are truthful about it. 8)

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

Oh, I think he was trying to instigate...no, just kidding, you're right, I'm sorry. :karate: But Shotokan, one remark still stands, if you say something like that, do rationalize it, otherwise it is just art-bashing, and while we are all convinced our own art is the best, others may disagree. That being said, TKD is the Bomb. :D

So, I'll put us back on topic:

Bob, an experienced TKD practicioner, is walking down the street, when, suddenly, Joe, an angry streetfighter, leaps out at him and exclaims "Hey! What'd you say about my Momma?!" :o Bobby tries to explain that he has never met Joe's momma, and would never say anything bad about her, but the street thug is having none of it. Knowing an attack is imminent, Bob prepares to defend himself, as Joe hurls one last obscene insult and attacks....

Discuss.

sory guys i didnt mean anything against TKD i like the art but my opinon is its really a show style no oeffense to TKD

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

You're right Shotokan, many schools train TKD as a Sport/Show art, but others do not, so you really cannot judge its effectiveness by that. My school definitly does not teach a "showy" art. Those who don't practice TKD generally only see the "show" aspect of it, because, well, it's the "show" aspect. But you must remember that everyone does not train it as such. As an art TKD can be quite effective if that's what you're looking for, you've just gotta find the right school.

Joe gets his butt kicked, by the way, case anyone was wonderin' how that worked out.

(but dude, really, can you please fix the "dought"? As an English/writing major it's driving me nuts!)

It works both ways, I've seen Shotokan Karate Schools that trains only Kata, Kata, Kata and More Kata just for tournaments, with little to NO contact sparring, self defense classes or body conditioning.

That not just happend on Taekwondo, it depends on which school you train.