• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CORRECT RESPONSE BY HARPOON...

FRONT KICKS ARE LIKE A BOXERS JAB, EXTREMELY EFFECTIVE AND CAN BE USED TO SET UP COMBOS ETC.

ALSO HE ALSO NOTED KEEPING DISTANCE WHICH IS VERY IMPORTANT IN FIGHTING/SPARRING. ONE MUST BE ABLE TO GUAGE THE DIUSTANT OF ATTACKER/OPPONENT AND STILL BE ABLE TO MAINTAIN PROPER FOOTWORK/BALANCE TO CONTINUE ATTACK OR DEFEND.

HOLLER IF ANY OTHER TIPS CAN BE INCLUDED.

PEACE!

52 HANDS (BRONX STYLE)

The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle. - Motto of Navy Seals

A new (to our club) student who had trainied at a McDojo said to me, one night after class when we were working on self defence stuff, after I had talked about the utility of a shin/instep roundhouse kick to the back of teh thigh or knee, "But I thought you were always supposed to kick to the head." Hmmm. I explained to the lass the importance of targeting and of knowing which parts of the human body are vulnerable to which weapons, then I wnet home and wondered how her previous instructor could face himself in teh mirror each moning!

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

TKD can be very effective in a confrontation. If you train hard and work on techniques that are practical and effective. I would only recommend jump, spinning or "fancy" kicks as finishing techniques, and then only if you are 100% sure you can connect. But be careful, these kicks can be some of the most damaging. Think of the legal implications you could face for protecting yourself. Too much force used can turn the attacker into a victim in the eyes of the law. Also, don't go to ground in an altercation if all you know is TKD. You have a very good chance of getting hurt for lack of ground fighting skills.

The best advice? Learn as much as you can in several different styles. Some soft styles, some hard styles, some grappling. The best tasting meals are usually the ones that have a diverse flavor comprised of many ingredients. 8)

Pilsung!

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

the prob with tkd, or any other art, is there are too many mcdojos, find an instructor that has done some extensive boxing as well if you can, if he know's boxing, self defense, and TKD, hopefully he will be a good teacher.

I'm taking private lessons with my instructor who has done tkd, boxing, aikido and combat hapkido, he teaches me the hapkido and aikido techniques cause i have always wanted to learn those styles, and make them my main focus

SD YOU ARE CORRECT! IF INSTRUCTOR KNOWS BOXING ETC.

HE WILL INDEED BE A GOOD INSTRUCTOR. I'M CURRENTLY TAKING TKD, BUT INSTRUCTOR IS ALSO PROFICIENT IN MUAY THAI AND HAS INTRODUCED THIS TO THE HIGHER BELTS!

EXTREMELY AWSOME

52 HANDS BLOCKS(BRONX STYLE)

The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle. - Motto of Navy Seals

TKD is a very ecletic style in itself...because we do punching kicking and self defense and joint locks and sparring...we take from others just as others take from us...

Traditional TKD, has One-Step sparring in which you dont do all kicks, and it has free sparring and pad sparring (with Hogu and head Gear and such)...I dont think, nowadays, that we have any traditional TKD schools around...

Hapkido has been involved in the evolution of modern day TKD, but who is to say that it is not TKD if you teach Hapkido in the TKD classes...as long as it works you can call it whatever you want...

People who bash TKD, bash it cause they dont know it...they bash it cause they have never seen it in action...

I would never expect someone to think that I know how to streetfight just cause I know 'karate', but I would regret even more if I had to show them.

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

• 5 weeks later...
tkd is almost the opposite of boxing. strangely boxing is recognized as an effective style and tkd is hated on. the power of tkd lies in its versitality. everyone can throw hands to some degree. your average street fighter is not mike tyson so the odds are that youre at least on equal ground in hand techniques. if you take the time to learn the hand techniques then u should be able to inflict some damage. as far as grappling is concerned streetfighters dont have much training in that either so the little grapplingn training that tkd students recieve should be enough to supplement your natural skills. if it goes to the ground then u messed up earlier. when it comes to kicking NOTHING is better than tkd. a good tkd fighter should be able to perform ANY kick at ANY range. even clenching range. even thai kicks. the only reason a tkd fighter should lose against a street fighter is if theyre to dumb to realize that its not a tournament. i train in a wtf school and i still utilize all weapons and fight at all ranges.

"All men are created equal, so to fear man is to offend god" -RZA

I dont think, nowadays, that we have any traditional TKD schools around...

WHAT?? :o :kaioken:

Tell that to an ITF or a Chung Do Kwan based school .... and they are out there thugtkd just not as "highly-advertised" as the "modern-style/sport-type" that you seem to think is so ecclectic.

Many traditional TKD schools have adapted some of their techniques while still maintaining a link to the past.

Some WTF TKD is practiced as pure sport, while other styles ITF and WTF, have another purpose. The underlying purpose of the TKD is combat. It may be practiced as a pure sport, as a pure fighting art, or as a combination of both.