• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First gradings

Nick, what do you have to do for your first test in your Wing Chun club?

We have informal gradings in my school, but they're only as part of everyday training - you keep training and Sifu just tells you at the end class that you've gone up a grade. There's no formal testing and you don't actually 'know' you're being tested - you just move up a level when Sifu thinks that you're ready.

Actually, I went up a grade at Wing Chun on Tuesday - I'm now red sash, level 2! Woo hoo, no longer a beginner!! :D :D :D

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

One of my current instructors doesn't test at all. He just has two belts before black, which are white and brown (Roughtly 10th kyuu and 1st kyuu). If he feels you are ready he just gives you the rank. I think this method really weeds out the dedicated from the chaff.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Oops, didn't mean to give that impression. He's only been my instructor for the past 5 months as I have only recently moved to this area. As he teaches in the same style and organization I did before, there was no need for me to start back at square one.

That being said, he really has helped my karate to evolve in just the short time I have trained with him. I only regret that I have to leave California next September and abbreviate my time with him.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Our first (Prelim) grading is:

FORM 10%

Sui Nim Tao: First section only: Gong Lik, Ging, Focus, Taan, Huen, Jum, Wu, Fook, Pak.

STRIKES 50%

Centre Line Punches

Side Punch

Side Palm and Front Palm & Slaps

Turning Punch

Triple Punch & Lift Kick and Knee

HANDS 20%

Man Sau Wu Sau

Lok Sau

FOOTWORK 20%

Arrow Walk Huen Bo Hau Huen Bo

Hand To Hand Distance Judgment

"...or maybe you are carrying a large vicious dog in your pocket." -Scottnshelly

The first grading in my karate association isn't very dificult at all. Generally, people pass - although I've know a couple of failures, mostly due to very bad nerves and forgetting everything. There's a pre-selection of sorts, but not an official pre-selection test.

In our case pre-selection just means that during the normal lessons the teacher look at you performing the forms and if he feels you are not ready just tells you that you are not admitted to the exam.

Im really looking forward to my first test/grading. Do a lot of people look forward to their test/grading?

I didn't but I was nervous for all my karate tests - I'm just not very good with practical examinations at all. I much prefer written tests (which isn't that much good in a martial arts grading!)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!