• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Another day to practice!

Sandhoppa

I train in karate 4 times a week, teach once or twice a week (alternate weeks Saturday class!) and train at home when I'm not in the dojo. I also try and find time to fit in some kobudo training as well as Wing Chun and Tai Chi Chu'an practice as well. :D

Hi aefibird.... you're impressing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In my country, most MA schools train 2-3 times per week. But the length and intensity of training various widely.

Sadly, many schools have made there training schedules more palatable because there are so many schools today. In order to keep students and the money coming in, the training has been made easier.

The traditional and often referred to as brutal training methods of traditional Japanese schools, is rare today. Even in Japan this can be found. In order for schools to survive financially they must retain students. Students have become clients rather than viewed as serious students of the MA willing to do all that is needed to succeed.

In the end, it comes down to the motivation of the student. One may decide to just drift along with the pace of the classes in a school or one many decide to set goals to excel.

If you decide to excel, you have to set goals and this includes having a rigorous and demanding self imposed training schedule. Of course one needs to decide what they want and then pay the price for it. Work, social and family considerations need to be made.

My attitude has always been to do far more training oneself than what is done at the school. I view the school as a place to learn technique and at home as the real place to train. Some people don’t have the motivation or the self discipline, to get the things in life that they want. It all starts with a burning desire and no one can create that for you but you.

If you work a day job, I would recommend getting up early like 6am and start running and building up to an hour a day. In the evenings going to karate class and if you don’t have one on that day, train in the same strict manner at home. Sit down and write out a training schedule, be sure in your mind that this is what you want and then commit to it with unwavering resolve.

It all comes back to goals and desires and what you are prepared to pay for it. Gather around you supportive people and ignore people who are detrimental to your goals. Wives, girlfriends, friends and families members can either cripple you or help you.

I would highly recommend people listen to the “How to Stay Motivated” series of audio tapes by Zig Ziglar.

Questions

1. What age have you set for yourself to reach your full potential?

2. Can you write out in 10 pages or more what exactly your full potential is?

3. If 100% is your full potential, what percentage score would you give your current level of performance?

4. Accepting the difference between your score and 100%, what are you going to do to make up the shortfall…. And when?

Those 4 questions “can” have a profound effect on your life!

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

I train in karate 4 times a week, teach once or twice a week (alternate weeks Saturday class!) and train at home when I'm not in the dojo. I also try and find time to fit in some kobudo training as well as Wing Chun and Tai Chi Chu'an practice as well. :D

Hi aefibird.... you're impressing.

Thanks! I'm also tired... :D :D

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

THose four questions are written down now and posted on the door to my room. THANKS AnonymousOne...wow that was pretty profound and applicable. If this is something I really want to do, why be wishy washy about it. Above and beyond whats expected is where satisfaction truely lies. :karate:

The sand bringeth and the sand taketh away...

Disciple of Master Jules' Temple of Sand Dojo

THose four questions are written down now and posted on the door to my room. THANKS AnonymousOne...wow that was pretty profound and applicable. If this is something I really want to do, why be wishy washy about it. Above and beyond whats expected is where satisfaction truely lies. :karate:

I pray they effect you as they effected my life many years ago and I also pray you fulfil your desired destiny.

The author of those questions is a Australian man named Peter Daniel who is a self made multi-millionaire

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

I trained 2 to 3 times a week but the best time I have is in my bed cause I can do the techniques and katas time and time again in my head

I don't train for belt color I train to survive on the street