• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how many times to life weights a week?

Mtal

In response to the routine you posted, it's decent. I'm not a fan of working a muscle group only once per week though, so there are some things I'd change.

first, you don't need to to incline bench, flat and dumbell - I'd only do flat.

for the back, I like what he's got, but I'd kill the shrugs (big traps aren't a necessity for fighting), and I'd do pull ups instead of chin ups.

for legs, eliminate all of that stuff except the normal squat, and you can keep the calf raises.

his bi and tri stuff is great. the shoulder stuff is good, but I would drop the lateral raises and only do presses.

it's a decent regimen - geared toward putting mass on you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seven star.. thanks, that helps a bit... i do want some mass as for like padding for when i fight, but moreso than that i want strength, so for strength as the main objective, do you think you could give me a routine that would work best? if you don't have the time, then thats fine

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

Thanks. It took me a while to understand it... I think I like the way that routine looks a lot more compared to the other one but with a few changes, such as add in pull ups and dips. BTW sevenstar, what are you stats? If I may inquire. I'd like to see how someone performs when they use this method.

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

Well from what I read, Flats for overall chest development, Inclines for upper chest, flyes (well I dont do them all the time, maybe 1 out of every 3 workouts, but I was thinking of doing them more often), just to get a good pump.

Why did you ask?

I asked because I was hoping you wouldn't say that, even though I figured you would. If you look at a diagram of the pectoral muscle, the "upper", "lower" and "inner" pec are all within a close proximity - so close that you can't work one without working them all. The pectoral muscle is one muslce, not three, and any of the bench variations will hit all three, so only one variation is necessary.

The abs are the same way - the abs are one sheet of muscle - there are no upper and lower abs, technically. The "lower ab burn" that people feel when doing leg raises isn't the lower abs, but actually the hip ab/adductors.

Lol, those dam workout books. So in your opion, is my routine, overtraining the chest? So 3 sets of flat, once a week, done intensely, is what you would reconmend? Or what else would you add?

Jay Johnson

Lol, those dam workout books. So in your opion, is my routine, overtraining the chest? So 3 sets of flat, once a week, done intensely, is what you would reconmend? Or what else would you add?

Nah, I don't think you're over training. 10 sets total for the chest is not bad. How many reps are you doing per set? Sticking with the 10 sets, I would do 10 sets, 4-6 reps of flat bench press only. if you prefer, you can keep inclines in there, for variation. Just remember that it's all working the same muscles, not upper, inner and lower...

Thanks. It took me a while to understand it... I think I like the way that routine looks a lot more compared to the other one but with a few changes, such as add in pull ups and dips. BTW sevenstar, what are you stats? If I may inquire. I'd like to see how someone performs when they use this method.

http://www.geocities.com/kalistawarrior/sevenstar.jpg

that's a pic of me. I usually weigh around 220. I squat 405, bench 285, deadlift - I'm not really sure... I usually do them with about 250, and I know I can get more than that. I just recently added some o lifts to my workout - cleans and clean and press, so I am keeping the weights light with them until I get the form well enough. I am cleaning 155 and clean and pressing 100.

• 1 month later...

If you are still interested in a lifting routine here is a great power BUILDING routine that I have found very effective. Being a martial artist you are most likely as I was concerned with building a strong muscular base to augment your training without living in the gym.

This program is based on a rotation of between 65%-80% of your possible max lift with strict form and steady motion. Remember the secret here is maintain tension on the muscle throughout the movement. Always remember to add static stretching at the end of a session, and always warm up well especially when working with weights to avoid injury. Yes twice a week is all you need especially if you are running and training your art hard.

Monday:

Wide grip flat bench 2 x 6 (index fingers on the rings)

Decline medium grip bench 2 x 6 (pinkies on the rings)

Weighted dips 2 x 10

Squats 2 x 5

Leg presses 2 x 5

Calves (your choice of exercise) 2 x 10

Thursday:

Dead lifts (rotate variations each week) 2 x 5

reverse hypers, pull thrus 1 x 10-15

Bent over rows 2 x 4

Reverse grip narrow grip pull downs 2 x 6

Standing wide grip curls 2 x 8 (or your favorite curl here)

Upright rows or side laterals 1 x 10

Abs 2-3 times a week depending on individual

Usually 4exercises for one set each of 20-30 reps slowly try to contract throughout the motion. No more that 8 inches of movement as in crunches.

If you are unfamiliar with any of the exercises look up this site

http://www.bsu.edu/webapps/strengthlab/Home.htm

Train hard, stay hard

"Train hard, Stay hard"

if you're looking for sheer strength, and don't care about size, what kind of set/rep ratio should you have for each exercise and how often should you lift, and what exercises should you do? set rep ratio meaning like, right now i do about 3 sets and reps being 12/10/8 or if its a heavier weight 10/8/6. what would be the way to go for just sheer strength?

If you want sheer strength, you need to stick with powerlifting routines. 5x5 is five sets of five reps, or 3x3 which is 3 sets of 3 reps. Either of those work good. What you do is focus on deadlifts one day of the week, squats one day of the week, and bench one day of the week. I posted an example 5x5 in the thread "gaining weight very slowly."

You just select 4 variations of the lift you are working on, or auxilery lifts for the involved muscles, and do five sets of five reps.

For abs, if you are doing low weight, high reps, do the every day. If you are doing alot of weight, they are like every other muscle in that they need rest days.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.