• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

should i get ankle weights??

the tkder

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This question gets posted a lot, so it's a fairly common question people have and understandable you asked.

I always tell them the same thing. If you want to use them, fine. But only use it for low stress activities such as walking. Using it while running is dangerous to the joints. Using it while kicking is extremely dangerous to the joints. You can perform the movements of kicking using ankle weights only if you do them slowly. I can not emphasize this enough. It's simply not worth the knee damage.

In my case, back in my crazier days, I wore ankle weights all day long for about 9 months or so. I took them off during running and other activities that would stress the joints. I had five pounds on each leg and walked around all day with them. While I've always been more towards the lean muscle build of the spectrum, my ankles literally doubled in girth after that period, thanks to the continual low stress it produced. It really strengthened the connective tissue, making me to this day (years later) less vulnerable to things like ankle sprains.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

yes thanx... but do they help at jumping higher-since im in WTF and wanna do things like aerials and stuff

When seen by the hawk, the rabbit's life is ended;when my arrow flies, my enemy is already dead.

It's just like baseball, which consists of short, fast movements. That is what a jump is, a short, fast movement. for this (as in baseball) you need a good base, from stomach down to feet. Work on your calf muscles (walking up and down stairs is good for this) work on your ankle muscles (eg. ankle weights) etc...work on the whole trunk of your body if you want killer jumps.

yes thanx... but do they help at jumping higher-since im in WTF and wanna do things like aerials and stuff

Do zoo's. You stand straight and touch the ground with a straight back and jump up and extened your arms repeat you should feel the pain in your calves.

The right to keep and bear Arms.

i strongly encourage you to use every calisthenic exercise possible before using ankle weights.

if you want to jump higher, do frog jumps at the end of each workout as well as duck walk, jumping above a bench side to side... remember, do this when you are tired, which is when it matters most.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence thus, is not an act, but a habit. --- Aristotle

yae thanx guys. i decided 2 get them. and i do the frog jumps and stuff i juss wanna get evan beter. well anywayes, thanks i appreciate it.

When seen by the hawk, the rabbit's life is ended;when my arrow flies, my enemy is already dead.

ankle weights really won't help with getting more air when you jump, for this i highly reccommend some of the stuff here, i'm probably going to get the push up bands. http://www.megafitness.com/resistance-bands.html

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

ankle weights really won't help with getting more air when you jump, for this i highly reccommend some of the stuff here, i'm probably going to get the push up bands. http://www.megafitness.com/resistance-bands.html

WHATTT! then y do people use them anyways?? what do they help u do then if not jum higher?? i mean i heard basketball players use them to b able to dunk; i dont gt it feedback PLEASE