• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The skill is called self-control. Most people lack this skill in any given situation. People today are too used to having things their own way. Learn to obey without question in the little things and eventually you will be giving the orders, or at least possibly getting an explanation if the person giving the orders knows what they are doing. It is all part of training. Putting self away, and serving others. It's a noble thing.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mostly, the things in the dojo don't get to me. You do them, you don't stop to think. It's when I'm outside the dojo, with people from the dojo deciding they can still order me about. I've mentioned my gokyu friend, I'm somehow still able to be ordered about outside the dojo, on the threat of being handed over to the punisher I dislike the most.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

Once outside the studio there isn't any reason to listen to anybody ordering you about.

You might want to ask the head of the school about this. He/She should be the one teaching the students about what it means to be a leader in the class and what it means outside the class.

TKD WTF/ITF 2nd Dan

"A Black Belt Is A White Belt That Never Quit"

Outside the dojo you don't have to do squat. Land of the free, home of the brave and all that ya know. If they tell you what to do outside the school and you refuse, as is your right, if they tell on you and you get in trouble at the school, I would find somewhere else to learn and train. There is a time and place for everything. This is not ancient China or Japan, you don't have to obey orders from someone outside the school, unless you choose to. If you are doing this you have no one to blame but yourself. I still believe serving others is a noble and righteous thing, but this sounds ludicrous.

Ken Chenault

If you are being ordered around outside your dojang then you need to make them aware that it bothers and you will not tolerate it. It is one thing to listen to instruction while in the classroom...it is another for someone to try and take advantage of you when your outside the dojang simply because he or she has been studying longer.

What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others. - Confucius

I would call this a misappropriation of the culture from which Karate came from. Traditionally, the Japanese arts were based on the Principles of Budo which function alongside the Cultural ideas of honour and respect, not to be confused with your western dictionary description of respect. That's not to mention the aspects of the adoption of the Budo as means to control. Part of Budo was to be subserviant to your Seniors, in terms of social order and otherwise at all occasions and situations.

IF you were in Japan, especially fuedal Japan, then you would've been bound by your honour to obey an orders given by a senior in whatever situation. However, you are not in Japan and so it shouldn't extend beyond the training hall. Of course this does depend on the type of relationship and how much YOU choose to extend the boundaries of the teachers influence. I know some people who would listen to his Sifu outside of the training hall and to an extent, some of the senior students too. But then, that is not exactly the same as what is described here.

ohayo gozaimasu, o genki desu ka.

Taking orders is how you learn discipline and humbleness!

Any "old school" is going to require you to do what you are told. If you don't like this, you should seek a fighting school that teaches strictly techniques.

disagree. Get into a ring and get your butt kicked. that teaches you humbleness as well. Roll with the guys in class that are better than you - that teaches humbleness also. getting beaten keeps your ego in check, not somebody shouting orders at you. All that does is make you a better slave. Where I train, we share responsibilities. We take turns mopping the mats, moving equipment, etc. instructors and assistants do it as well.

As for discipline, dedication to your training will instill that - you don't need anyone telling you what to do.

Mostly, the things in the dojo don't get to me. You do them, you don't stop to think. It's when I'm outside the dojo, with people from the dojo deciding they can still order me about. I've mentioned my gokyu friend, I'm somehow still able to be ordered about outside the dojo, on the threat of being handed over to the punisher I dislike the most.

you have to put your foot down. even of you choose to do what they say inside the dojo, outside, they are powerless over you. Of course, they can choose to make your life worse inside because you don't do what they say outside, but you can just as easily find another school.

Find a new school? Out here in the middle of nowhere? I think ours just about is the ONLY school. *shrugs* But I haven't got much choice, not really. I got a bit more info on what's going on. I see now, though I'm under my own honor not to tell. It affects more than just me, I'll leave it at that.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

Time to jet that school I think. Sworn to secrecy to protect someone else from punishment maybe? This all sounds very funny to me. Blackmail is a harsh word that comes to mind.

Ken Chenault