• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why do you have to fight for a black belt??

In our dojang, I think you have to fight 3 or so rounds of one opponent, then 2 on one for a couple of rounds. Not really sure (haven't got that far yet). But they do have a "power camp" (basically a day of the master instructor putting you through h ....) before the actual test. I heard it is full contact (no gear) that day. I could be wrong, though.

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In My origanal school the fighting requirement was any of the black belts that where on the panel was allowed to fight with the canidate, it was one on one or two on one until they got tired of sparring.

I dont know what the requirment is in my new school to far away to worry about it right now.

It's a test to see if you can stick with it. You get tired enough without people smashing your ribs. The question is can you stick with it even if you're tired and having your ribs smashed.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

Asking why you have to fight for your blackbelt is an odd question. Why do we ever have to fight during tests should be the real question. And the answer is... becuase your sensei tells you so! You have to prove that your fighting abilities are good enough for you to become a blackbelt.

"I think therefore I am" Rene Descartes

In our school a Shodan grading for sparring is simply measured by observation. This observation not only takes place in the grading but also for some time before. Its highly unlikely you would be allowed to sit for shodan unless they thought you could pass it.

3rd Dan grading requires the student to defeat 3 shodans in a row under contest conditions

No further sparring tests are required after this.

Teachers (Sensei) must be 3rd Dan or above. No exceptions

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

• 1 month later...

In my style you must fight 10 fights for your first dan, 20 for your second, 30 for your 3rd ext....The reasoning is, after about 5 fights your fighting on pure heart.....and if you have the mental strength to see it through then you are diserving of your black belt.

"Fighting on Heart." I agree with that. In my school, Black belts from around the country return for each new black belt's test. No one else is allowed to go.

I only hope that I have time to make black belt here.

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

Why do you have to fight for a black belt??

Are martial arts not fighting arts?

Of course you should have to fight to earn a rank that indicates proficiency in a fighting art!

--